|Off to the workbench at home where I had the luxury of a great working environment and not rushed by weather!|
|The work area, the laptop with the YouTube video to coach my process, wow what a great thing hmm? The Kerosene to wash the parts, my milk jug for the washing machine, the inner bearings awaiting their rinse while the shaft and gears are in the cycle.|
|This is my easy method, the milk jug and kerosene. A bit of setting aside, and some wire brushing to clear off the tougher residue.|
The gears had accumulated years of dirt in between their teeth, and in several places green corrosion had started to creep into the brass. Reminded me of some kids' trumpets in my Junior High school band days. Keeping brass up is not a chore. It does look better when polished and this machine needed some care. The last thing I noticed was that these were not original to this 1977 model. Of course not, the winches were probably from 1990. They are number 32s and still bring a high price with them on ebay, despite the fact that I think the prices are way too high, too inflated.
ts, all with my laptop showing the Harken YouTube video on how-tMine appeared in great condition but I could see the base had been previously drilled for another base unit and random bits of paper and stuff were pushed into those earlier holes and larger drilled holes were held by 5 stainless steel bolts of various sizes and fortunately accessible through the coamings' winch handle pockets. All those years, the first holes were open to whatever could seep in and through them, oh well.
Taking careful note of positions and conditions of everything, I took photos and loaded my work basket for home. Soaking wet from the humidity I ferried the winches to my work table in the garage and set up several stations, to wash the gears, to detail them with my wire brush, to grease and oil the appropriate parts to do this. That was helpful.
Using kerosene shed most of the hard work of the gears. The reassembly was rather straight forward, I used the video and the second winch to validate my assembly. All worked pretty well, and the cleaning was well worth my time. Re-installation aboard was important as in previous iterations someone had had to redrill for this model of winch but failed to take the time to plug the other 5 holes which, of course, had enabled water to creep into the inside of the vessel, ughh. I wiped the bases clean with alcohol and filled each of those "old" holes before re-installing the winches.
The results are inside. These winches weren't really that badly in need of servicing, in my opinion. However, with everything aboard, until that thing and I come into direct confrontation, it remains something whose condition I cannot verify until I disassemble it and reassemble it using the best directions and materials possible.
And so, coming back aboard just as they left, in this old milk crate, these "32s" are ready for operations aboard once again. I suppose in a fresh water environment they will be good for quite a while...
Seems I do spend a lot of time admiring these mechanical mates aboard. As I look back through my collection of photos from the Cape Dory through now, I am always watching the Harkens whether under load or when at rest. It's very important to take care of these guys!
|Under load on a starboard reach in stiff winds, no problem.|
|My original BaggyWrinkles' Australian winches were simple but effective too.|
|Taking a break from responsibilities, the port winch shines in a late day sun.|