Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the modest Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since the BaggyWrinkles blog started:

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

It's Christmas time, yet maintenance goes on.  Although I'd rather be sailing, I have a number of "fixes" to put on the Dory. 

A recent post shows the reapplication of varnish and work on the rub/toe rail.  Routine.  Also need to get a hardware fix for the genoa tracks.  Somehow the metal on metal, despite winch grease, is alarmingly difficult to manage underway.  The cars ought to move quickly and without much effort.  So that's on the work agenda.  But for now I've turned to the warm temps and clear skies to apply new deck paint.

Here is baby blue paint I'm replacing with Epiphanes light grey.  Light blue simply doesn't fit my sense of color scheme, so I decided to change to a light grey-

This photo does not reveal the tree debris which falls incessantly on the deck.  So every work-session begins with cleaning.  The pines and oaks give something every 90 days or so, whether it is leaves, or buds, leaves, small wings of pine seeds, pine needles, pollen, on and on it goes.  The discoloration in this cockpit is due partly to use, and partly to some scrubbing and scraping.  I figured to tighten up this design a bit, tape the perimeter, and may extend the coloration underneath the rudder cap.

The taping is critical to provide crisp lines.   


 Once taped, I used a small paint roller to apply the paint ( with its beads ) evenly.  This process was simple.  Here I'm showing myself painted into a corner but the process is evident.  This is a thick paint with sandpaper like abrasives to keep one from slipping when the cockpit gets wet.  So it's important to get the application even.  After so many years it's easy to see how from one owner to another, applications have varied. 

The most difficulty I had was keeping debris from dropping on the fresh grey.  Next photo reveals the completed paint now drying.  The recent varnish on the teak pops out with the grey contrast:

So, after participating in a yacht club work party all morning, I returned after lunch to pull the tape and see how the deck paint looked now:

I deliberately did the cockpit first so that I could get an idea of how the paint applies and what precautions I should take when doing the fore and aft decks next.  Once viewing the cockpit I will probably follow with most of the contour lines already in place on the next sections.  There is a bit of build-up on those locations so it's not worth the difficulty of trying to go against their years old pattern. 

In her prime, before I found her, she shows excellent upkeep, brilliant bright work and clean baby blue deck paint.  So as this photo reveals, The next areas to redo will be fore and aft decks. 

I'm using Epiphanes Varnish for my teak and deck paint.  I really don't have expertise in all the varieties of paints and varnishes.  However, after visiting the Newport Boat Shoe in September, and talking with the representatives from Epiphanes, I decided to stick with this one vendor for my needs.  If you want to check out their products you can hit this link for more.  Their customer service is very friendly and helpful.

As Christmas passes and the New Year rolls in, I anticipate more bright and sunny days and cold temps.  Time for some mechanical upgrading and tweaking before winter sailing in February!