My sailmaker had recommended I install a preventer, or deflector, as you might call it, for the genoa halyard. Under pressure of uphauling, the sheet would eventually wrap around the foil at the top of the furler and make handling excruciatingly frustrating to the little people on deck. I had forgotten about this until an engineer pal at our club noticed the setup and jogged my memory. Yeah, that was a frustrating bugger. The preventer, as I nickname it, installs to re-direct the sheet at a better angle to uphaul the sail and frees the foils of the ensnaring sheet around itself. You begin to want to fuss and cuss and get another furler system regardless of the cost. That's what frustration does to me at least! Not necessary at this point.
This view of the masthead area on Nautica reveals a small block on the genoa side of the masthead, tucked underneath the crane facing the bow. This does not show the wrap however. There are plenty of pictures of halyard wrap on line if you need to see one. I found this one produced by Harken which pretty much sums things up:
|Wrap shown at left, a preventer is sown in middle, and a sheave is used with a roller on the foil in the final one at the right.|
This fix is made easy by installing the preventer. I grabbed one on Ebay being sold on the second hand market. I also have an unused sheave in my mast that I might employ with the preventer. It was not part of the previous skipper's rigging plan, however, it would certainly not be out of the question to use a thin but stronger sheet, perhaps like dyneema which would offer maximum strength and resistance to the abrasive sheave, and remove the block at the top of the masthead. Just writing this provides me ideas about how I will be approaching my re-rigging. One problem with a flexible sheet such as dyneema though, is that it remain taut at all times so that it does not "jump" out of the sheave requiring the First Mate to go up and re-insert it every time? Unlikely to happen!
The example at the left is pretty much like the picture above in the middle, also a Harken photo, which illustrates up close how this preventer functions, and at what angle, and distance from the sail, and what sort of turning shackle can be used for the setup. It also seems to be a wire leading from the crane rather than a fabric of some sort. A wire would be great but involves another sort of system in place below which can accommodate such a reel of metal. I don't have that and not sure I want that. Dyneema itself would fit but it too has some disadvantages of being prone to jumping the sheave. The following photo is the setup I inherited. Since then I have not changed much. But the second photo shows the "mother of invention" as necessity required the implementation of a metal tang to hold the genoa hoist sheet. It would easily wrap and did so. But then, with a furler you don't hoist your sail, you unfurl it, so the urgency was abated and I used this setup for a long time before finally realizing it was time to change.
This setup worked for another skipper and I employed it too. After a while however, one begins to do the assessments and makes changes as they see fit.
There's a lot in this photo to explore, a deteriorating connector boot, a tang held by one nut with a few turns, a sheave opening nearby not being used, and an otherwise very weathered setup. Funny however, it functioned, but when would it fail?
Aside from this perplexing little twist of line, there are a few
housekeeping items left over from my initial renovation package that remain. I have a partial rebuild of the shelf area near what we call the "ice box" area. It had suffered from water and rot in years past. With the new hull ceiling, that area is partially finished but needs a little more work.
Another aesthetic item is getting more of the interior painted with Brightsides. The pale yellow gets on my nerves. Brightsides just helps with the eye and helps everything look cleaner and brighter in color. Geez, it is already dingy down below in an older sailboat, let's brighten it up!
Cushions remain an item in need of redo. They are still located in my garage awaiting an estimate for recovering. That's a drive to downtown where they're awaiting cushions for a second measurement.
As I unwrapped the Alberg upon arrival, I was keen on observing the Kiwi Grip I had put just before haul-out this past Spring. It is such an easy surface to apply, and being water based, it is quite forgiving, yet dries to perfection.
|Kiwi Grip Grey|
As I have all the rigging off, it's a terrific time to apply more Kiwi Grip to the side decks. I'm hoping to squeeze just that bit more out of my 4 litre can.
This stuff is really easy to mix too. I began with a cream color and went to the paint store and asked them to make it grey, presto, they did. Due to the 4 litre can, they cannot mix it for you unless the boss is not watching. Otherwise, you'll need that paint mixer for your drill and execute it yourself.