This provides some time to get needed sanding and re-varnishing done aboard. The stuff nobody wants to do. But the effects are wonderful, and worth the time crawling around and sanding affected spots and coating them with some fiberglass gel or varnish.
My seat concept has held up "ok," not great. The inserts were coated numerous times with surfboard finish gelcoats and have successfully protected the main parts. Some natural cracks have given way to a bit of gel separation. But, for the time being that's not a great big problem that a sander, some clear weather and additional gel coating cannot fix in quick order. We've discussed these lazarette seats on the Alberg FB page over and over again, and until there's an insert solution for them these will have to do. In the meantime, I'm always thinking ahead to some sort of "next" solution in the form of a hard yet light product which could be glued in place and provide some additional life for these seats with a lower maintenance burden.
Inspection of Nautica went well, the UV rays, even in winter, require additional work to apply Epiphanes UV protectant varnish. Once done that will extend their life again. Between rain events and cold weather I managed to get more protection on the wood surfaces.
This old gal needs all the make-up she can get a hold of to keep herself "dressed-right" for the party. Once the lake goes down and then returns, she'll be out stretching her sails again in balmy late winter weather. My return to the states for the month has enabled me to put some additional work into the teak and into the interior as I've finally achieved my goal of removing the "peg board" and giving Nautica a more sea-worthy appearance down below.
In a labor-intensive session over the past couple of weeks, I've removed the peg-board and begun the laborious process of procuring the fir, sealing it against moisture, then aligning, adjusting, drilling and affixing these to the supports. I've found the supports are prone to jump off their glue if disturbed, so care must be taken to get the work done with the least amount of disturbance possible.
The most challenging aspect of the refit has been to work without the proper tools. Most of my tools were shipped overseas to care for my motorcycle, and what was left was my old Ryobi cordless, and a few screw drivers. The Ryobi died in the fight and a corded hand saw from my father's estate was brought into service instead. Problem is, when working without a proper table, makes for uncertain cuts. Patience is not a virtue but a necessity.
|Yes that is a wasp nest, behind the pegboard! Out with it!|
|This is to show the lap-top method I was using to cut my strips to proper length. No I did not cut on my leg. Just for reference lol.|
|A great environment to dry my slats during winter storms.|
|I worked hard to make myself look as if I knew what I was doing in this photo. I don't. I'm guessing. So far, I have not drilled through the exterior hull!|
|Not bad for guessing. These have been coated with the polyurethane but appear quite light due to the flash.|
I managed to mangle this cut and have had to put a re-do on my calendar. I'm just not a craftsman, but I work hard to imitate one. I decided to do the polyurethane satin finish and did not use any stain whatsoever. My idea was to bring some light into the Berg in these areas and contrast with the teak. I will rub the teak with oil upon finishing the project to further increase the warmth of the cabinetry.
Working hastily, in-between weather fronts and other obligations I will have completed both the v-berth and salon during this visit. Yes, I really need to have these cushions redone, but that is for another day. Once this project is complete and the boat is cleaned up I'll post the nicer photo-shoot.
Cost-wise is not too bad. Milled lumber for the entire project was about $450 resourced by local entrepreneur. The salon has brought additional challenges which I will put in the next salvo on this interior upgrade!