But, in the kindness of time and patience, I did manage to prevail, and, drawing on every bit of mechanical history I'd ever been privileged to to collect, was able to fix both the blown muffler problem and the tachometer calibration issue.
Taken from my cockpit access hatch, this view is from stern to the forward doors of the v-berth area. And the copper gasket looking this way is where the "elbow," or muffler (as I call it) will bolt on. Viewed last Fall, this is the miserable workplace from the same viewpoint, the rusty elbow amidst the entry and exit of necessary pipes and control lines:
|While on the hard, replacement of a thru-hull on the starboard side and see the rusty elbow looking downward to link up with the larger muffler box, here pulled back out of the way for viewing.|
|Had the "smart person" who re-engineered this elbow left things alone, the tubing would never had had such an obstacle to overcome.|
It looks "purtty" doesn't it? But note carefully the "near-miss" as the 2 inch exhaust pipe only clears the thru-hull on starboard by the increased turn clockwise of the elbow itself. I muscled it about 3/16ths of an inch in order to clear that obstacle. As the tube fits, it has to carefully wrap on the end of the elbow--something I will continue to monitor because I do not trust time, heat, and vibration, to leave it alone! And yes, I will put a second clamp on that location.
So, I checked it after installation and again the next day, running the engine both slow and fast, to see if that dreaded thing, called a leak, would appear. Up until now, there are no leaks.
This seems like a benign posting but it highlights the small issues which can potentially become large problems. Had that muffler blown while out on the water and without wind, I'd have been calling Boat US for a tow. Glad I have that coverage! I've used it before and it's great. But I prefer to be able to sidestep that and know that my gear and components are sound and capable. Yet, the rusty elbow was on my long term fix because of it's very high price ($ 209 bucks) which I think is robbery, and because if something is evidently working I don't run to fix it. Yet.