Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, March 31, 2017

When not aboard...

I was lamenting the fact that I didn't have any cool photos of the Alberg for display on the walls of our house when Photobucket announced a super 80 percent off sale!

So I jumped at the opportunity to get a triple display set of the Berg.  What would have cost me a pretty penny was just under a couple hundred for one large 36 x 36 photo wrapped on a frame along with 2 smaller photos likewise mounted.  

So I perused my many photos of the Berg and came up with several I thought would fit on the large space in our bedroom.  Of course I didn't want something too dynamic, just some easy images of sailing, and perhaps something a bit ethereal.  After all, this is a bedroom, and it is for sleeping!  I don't want to have second reef before going to sleep!

Having dreaded the normal price of such a display, which would be 3 times what I spent, my pieces arrived, very well packed, and easy to handle.  Each photo wrap was entirely closed on the back-side, making them a bit sturdier than if they were open.  Then I retrieved some slimmer 3/8ths line from WestMarine and utilized the stainless steel Herreshoff cleats I had mounted years earlier for another display project which had come to the end of its display run some months back.  

This is what I came up with...
Center is a 36x36 and sides are like 24x30

Not sure of the effect of this trio, I never said anything to the 1st Mate and simply let them hang...she rarely opens her eyes before getting into her car for work.  Then she came out of the bedroom and said, "wow, that's cool...just enough activity in them but also rather peaceful..." 

Color on the wall here and there but not much.  The stainless steel Herreshoff style cleats make for easy alignment.
The effects were great! And as a point of order, the two photos on the sides are in color of course and from a very brisk day aboard.  As you can see, the sky is brilliant blue and there is a bit of grey and silver in each of them which connects to the center piece which was honestly a photographic "risk."   I was on a long slow reach to the south on Lake Murray, held my Nikon D3100 over the gunwhale and clicked the "on" button and forgot about the photo.

It was later at home I realized that in black and white the horizon was just nearly a straight line with the hull merging into the photograph with complete solitude...what a chance photo!  So the trio represents our current state of sailing and compliments a bedroom which really needs some color as it is largely soft pastels.  Makes for some contemplative moments before one turns off the lights and burrows in the covers.