Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Who cares about a Whale Gusher 10?

Details is where the problem lay.  The corrosion around the rim of the pump prohibited a seal, the rubber product had dry rotted and many of the interior parts were clogged with corrosion and its natural debris.
I hope I never have to.  But I could not stand the fact that mine did not work and that the rubber gaskets were dry-rotted.  If, in that one moment of extreme danger and possibility of sinking I looked at my crew and said, 

"Um, ...the electric bilge can't save us but if the Whale Gusher worked, perhaps we could pump out the water but I never fixed it, so,...everyone in the water with life jackets now!" 

Nope, can't do that.  Had to fix it.  It's a very reliable hand pump and quite expensive to refit with all the rubber and plastic components about 80 bucks.  Plus, the company reminds us that the gaskets ought to be replaced about every 5 years. Hmmmm, so my boat is 40 years old this year, and this Whale Gusher looks like the first one ever made, hmmmmm?  So, just because you have one does not mean all is well does it?

This valve was so corroded it hardly moved and the seal, as you can see, sealed nothing.
 I did it anyway just because of that one possibility.  And, I tested it by sticking the intake in the lake, over the gunwhale.  It sucked and sucked the water into the tube which was held vertically over the side.  Once water invaded the pump the suction was very strong.  I felt rather good about this small but pernicious little bugger being refitted. 
After a long soak in vinegar and rinsed with water, still in need of debriding and some bondo work too.
Well I should take more "after" photos but I was so enthralled the bondo worked to smooth out the rim of the canister, that I painted it trade-mark yellow and slapped it all back together, anxious to install it aboard Nautica.  

Once aboard, I ripped out the old tubing, measured and cut my new stuff, and set forth to re-clamp everything.  This involved more Yacht Yoga, getting into the lazarette, avoiding pressure on the front of my one knee (much painful) and then twisting around for best installation position (photo shows the contortions and lack of space)

This bugger is almost easy to get to...if you're the size of a first grader!
Oh yeah, this is conveniently the other side of the photo where you can work on the electrical components after you finish.

Well, it had to be done, at least in my mind.  Not wanted to be in an awkward position on the day it might be important to have it.  Gave me the opportunity to test, to make sure I understand exactly what is down below decks in the bilge area and how it may serve my needs in an important time.  Knocks off one more item on my "to - do" list as well.

The Whale Gusher 10 is a unique device and probably not ever examined.  From their website this description:

"Whale's long life diecast alloy range - robust designs for extreme conditions.  Install Gusher 10 for the long haul."
  • Durable Diecast Alloy Bilge Pump
  • Robust design stands up to the  toughest marine  conditions
  • Top performance- High flow non-choke valves, 65 ltrs (17 US gals) per minute
  • 3 mounting options available Bulkhead, floor or thru deck mounting
  • Designed for  simple installation and  maintenance
  • Efficiency - Large non-choke valves
  • Ideal for workboats, cruisers, offshore racing
  • Easy pump action - Self priming
  • Suitable for diesel transfer with Nitrile diaphragm (service kit AK3714 available separately)
I think that says it all, especially that 17 gallons per minute!  

Oh well, that's done!