Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I had to laugh.  

The weather was warmish and sun was bright, a great day to get the anchor roller secured to the deck and complete this one item I'd been hoping to do for some time.

Fortunately, I had not left anything at home as in previous visits to the vessel, when after driving an hour one discovers the very drill and assorted gear were left on the work bench, missed loading in the haste of getting aboard to fix something!  This time, all was aboard, the weather was great, and I relished the Southern Winter's sun as I pulled up on my motorcycle to do this small fix aboard Nautica. 

20 years old this year. 1997 Honda Valkyrie, the legend grows...

It was a great ride through the back country between my home and the club.  Never a direct route, but an uncrowded one, that doesn't stress you out with hazardous non-driving "cagers," a term reserved by cyclists for those who are inside cars, talking, texting, eating, and oblivious to the motorcyclists around them.  So this back route was a pleasure.  The skies were brilliant and I appreciated the relaxed and warm ride this Winter had delivered us.

So aboard, I gathered my assortment of tools in a bag, the anchor roller I'd scuttled away for several months now, having gotten it on sale from Defender Industries.  This was the day my work would come together, the particular support block I'd fashioned from the Azek wood-type material made of plastic, the boat life caulk, the stainless shoulder bolts from West Marine, and the great weather which I had not done anything to create...and then forward on deck I went.

I set my tool bag next to the windless and the starboard rail with the battery powered drill piled on top.  I had wanted to replace this Ryobi with something more durable, but the Ryobi just kept working, so I saved more money by using it, go figure.  Turning my attention to the placement of the Azek and the pre-drilled holes I had so carefully put into the deck I began to apply the boat caulk and was just about to drop the bolts through the Azek into the deck when something moved near me.  At first I thought it was something rattling on the deck like usual.  But then splash!  Surprised, my eyes followed the Ryobi's tumble from the bag into the pea-green lake, bubbles following it's descent into the dubious bottom of mud, rocks, cans and turtles.  I just had to laugh.  At first I thought perhaps I'd jump in and rescue it but then recalled the radio had said the water was a cool 52 degrees just yesterday, and I did not like the idea of diving down several times to find my drill in the murk and mud of the lake.  After all, it wouldn't work after I retrieved it anyway!

So there I sat, a perfect day of work, sidelined by my aging Ryobi drill which haplessly tumbled into the lake thus ending its 5 year contract with me by sidelining me when I needed it most.  How can you feel frustrated with that?  Time to get a new DieWalt cordless!

We tolerate these Winter days in the Southern USA with easy patience. 
Like most of the projects on Nautica now, they are not critical, they are needed but can wait another day, or week, before they have to be done, if that.  I just want to get my Delta anchor on the bow so that I can begin to enjoy some of the delightful anchorages on the lake and to test it for when grandchildren may come aboard to learn to be pirates with me.  We have to be able to anchor for swimming after all!