Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Sunday, January 1, 2017

A great winter afternoon sail

This video speaks for itself.  

While cold temps envelope some regions, I am fortunate to live in a moderate climate where winter opens its hands to permit some brilliant days on the water.  Here is one of those times on 30 December, as a front pushed over the region.  I had arrived at the club at about 1030am to arrange a few things and straighten out my sail track after some issues after a sail the previous day.  I instinctively turned on my radio for the "rolling" WX (weather) report generated by the National Weather Service, "high winds, 12 to 30 kts predicted over the area, a small craft advisory is in effect for the...."  I looked out over the cove and saw the backside of the fetch and knew the winds were husky, but it didn't look like Armageddon yet.  

As I finished my tasks, I made sure my reef was secure, straightened up below so I wouldn't have my personal effects pouring out onto the sole while heeled-over.  Out of the slip I motored and hoisted the canvas.  The rest is pure enjoyment.


The day was an enjoyable journey, replicated over and over by Alberg owners who know this vessel better than I do.  I admired the way she balanced in the wind, and how she handled the elements with grace.  I kept thinking how the lake reminded me of a protected bay on the coast and how she might head out into the ocean with the slightest hesitation.  One day in the future we may indeed do that!  For now, we will continue to perfect our relationship and refit so that she is even more easily handled by one than she is now.

One of the fixes I continue to study is leading the controlling sheets to the cockpit by removing the winches on the mast and boom and bringing them home.  Plus, will have to design the deck-top fair-leads and locking clamps that go along with this.  A small job but a major transformation to come!

Enjoy the video!