Winter will toss us some difficult days, very humid, rain, cool temps and brisk winds, not all days when you'd want to be on the water. This makes for a great tempo as there are some small things that always need to be chased while, for the most part, if the conditions are favorable, there is also great sailing to be had.
I've sorted my urgencies down to a few items I've wanted to fix aboard Nautica. The anchor roller has been a pre-occupation of mine for a couple of months, but in this mild winter I managed to find a few dry days with sun during which I made the fix up at the bow. I used this white "azek" plastic type material which looks like wood but is actually recycled plastics. Thus, it does not present another piece of natural material to protect. Azek is a brand but the material is recycled plastics, perfect I think for this type of application.
|Placement was as good as I could fit given the original deck arrangements of the Alberg. I don't think the Alberg was designed to stop anywhere and throw down an anchor!|
My Berg does not lend itself to a polite fitment for the anchor roller, thus, I had to rearrange things up front as best as I could. I moved the starboard "skene chock" aft about a foot to accommodate a dock line while providing the roller ample room to lay over the sturdy bow plate. The rolling furlering drum just misses the anchor as the roller is set in at an angle to starboard to accommodate the particular anomalies of the bow plate's configuration. I also drilled a few more holes of course, and did more yacht yoga to crawl into the anchor roller to apply my Vise Grips for solo tightening on deck.
|There's a more noticeable gap between anchor and hull than this photo reveals. Plus the anchor is pulled tight and secured at this point as if ready to sail. Otherwise it would move out a bit more. The A in the Delta sits atop the 2nd roller.|
|This shows the distance to hull. When hauling aboard, it came up cleanly and went to bed without complaint!|
Another item to affix will be my boarding ladder. I had marked the point on starboard deck where this will affix with plenty of space in the cabinet below to put-in the hefty backing plates. West Marine's heavy 4 step ladder will extend off the starboard beam just ahead of the genoa track.
I've included these photos because other Albergers might be interested in this location. The 1 and 3/4 inch height from deck to cap rail level required building up the attachment.
I will employ a small line to the ladder steps since I cannot reach up and deploy the ladder by hand from the water. The ladder itself is stainless steel and quite heavy, rating it's capability at about 250 pounds, so this gives you an idea of the durability of this product. Azek will rise from the deck to provide a 90 degree angle or the supports and automotive rubber on the cap rail will protect it from damage when the ladder is deployed.
And too, I've taken to re-varnishing the primary tiller which has some control points on it for holding it in place while underway. These are not quite "cruise control" ready but help to keep a heading for a few moments when otherwise needing to go forward. The previous owner had purchased a new tiller, passing that along with the sale to me and which I mounted first. Yet, seeing another available tiller with these additional items already bored and attached, I thought I had might as well expand my inventory.
As always, removing the heavily applied varnish is best done with the heat gun:
|This truly is the best and easiest way to do this task!|
The previous varnishing had not been properly applied so that there were heavy runs and bumps on the surface and sanding simply took off one coat revealing another. The tiller had previously had some cool nautical weaving yet someone got the idea to protect it all and varnished the weaving as well. Probably why the previous owner purchased another tiller because hardened weaving would tear at the hands! I will employ this tiller for a while to see if I care for the additional extension stick it holds, and to see if the semi-auto tiller provides me any satisfaction. If not, then it's up for sale!
And finally the bolts for my vang bail arrived. I affixed the bail to the mast, leaving the mast plate holes available for blocks with which I will employ later to guide lines to the cockpit. Running the lines aft is a project for a bit later
There will be more changes ahead, but this is sort of a bench-mark for getting the "must-do" fixes done. I'm pricing a new dodger, and I've still got my eye on the lazyjack system currently in place but not working to my desired level of performance.
Today is a sailing day, forecast is for 10 - 20kts. Single-handing again, with a first reef in main and genny. Should be a great day as temps are set to be near 70 degrees in the month of January! We've done that before with ease: