Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Monday, October 24, 2016

One thing leads to another.  Sometimes, it becomes a dive into unexplored territory.  And sometimes, despite my ignorance, I wander towards hubris and actually get lucky. 

So, my attention has turned to prepping the mast.  Along with this, I began the sourcing for how to setup the electronics inside.  

Things to fix, reroute, improve upon.
For me, there's a nagging temptation to over-improve on an already fine design.  Perhaps its the assumption that technology is so improved since 1977 that it would make the Alberg so much better.  And perhaps this is also just the very sort of thinking that could ruin an already great design and complicate it with odd combinations.  Sort of like having Grandma wearing a mini-skirt?

On the way to improving things, I had already done some improving of down below, sanding the bulkhead below the cockpit and the transom area.  I wanted to freshen up the paint but also use Brightsides so that it enhanced the visibility of those areas, as often they are dark and foreboding and should be accessible areas where wires are neatly arranged and hung, and piping is out of the way, and where you could toss some gear without fear of it becoming soiled with diesel fuel or something gooey.  A cleanup was in order.

I tied the electrical harness on the starboard bulkhead out of the way of moving parts, the opening to port is the access the mechanics needed for the engine.  There's not lack of strength however.  There's the deck hatch above too.  Lots of light.

These below-decks areas are places where one might send a grandchild to retrieve a wrench or pull a plug on something.  It needs to be ready for inspection at all times.  In my thinking.  I'm a hard supervisor at the yacht yard.


So, gone is the dingy mustard color and all is bright white. 

Enhancement.  Top of this photo is underneath the cockpit sole.  In my next purchase of paint, I'll finish that too.  I want the underside of things to look cared-for and easy to identify problems, find things dropped, and to generally brighten the down-below area.  Nothing more.  Below is the view to the other direction:

This is the best for now,  without removing the diesel and going underneath it, there's no need to attempt that area.  Perhaps next year if I get extremely concerned I'll see about lifting it out...maybe.  For now, this helps with routine maintenance and overall cleanliness below.
So back to the mast.  I'd laid it out in the yard and began the process of identifying entry points for the wires and detaching useless metal loops along the mast and removing anchor and steaming lights.   The cost of these items is prohibitive.  But at least I can find something to fit!

So I was able to procure an LED anchor light for 50 bucks but the steaming light, a legacy version with normal bulb, was 70.  I begrudingly uttered something about "kids with braces," an aside referring to purchasing things I need but would rather not have to pay so much for.  I spent $5k on one of my childrens' teeth.  Amazing.  So spending a few bucks on the mast had to be acceptable.  I consider these refits to be like braces.


Having the mast crane accessible I decided to remove it and see for myself what mysteries were going on inside it and how I might improve simply on that area.  A long bolt ran from fore to stern on the base, itself  bent from use over the years.  I removed the six 

This pin shows the results of some extreme pressure.  That is perhaps due to the fact that it dissects the underneath of the crane from fore to aft securing the tangs for the jib halyard fore and the aft-stay aft on the cap.  Seems a lot of bending going on up there.  Ordered a replacement.
A bit of corrosion but overall healthy.  I re-drilled the rivet holes and surface prepped this cap for assembly up top.

rivets securing the cap and began redrilling for 3/16ths rivets.  I also re-routed the electrical wires to run to the LED light and will keep them far from any moving parts of the rigging.  Mid-mast I am readying for the steaming light replacement.  Once these items are done, and some of the rigging attachments are properly ready, I will issue the call to step the mast at the club.

Yes it's expensive, and not an LED!
I'm not going to over-do this phase at all.  I simply want a standard setup, comply with USCG Navigation light requirements, and make sure the rigging is correctly setup.  I've already found cotter pins in the shrouds that were never bent-on, I really did.  So, taking nothing for granted, I am combing through everything with careful examination so there should be fewer surprises once underway.  

This week "should be" my final week of preparation before requesting a gang of thirsty sailors to assist in splashing the Berg.