Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Thursday, October 6, 2016

It's taken a few weeks.  But it was worth it.

So my diesel mechanic, Charlie, recommended I get my prop shaft redone, in stainless steel, by a team in Brunswick, Georgia.  Well, a short drive south, an overnight, and then I got a shaft, perfectly machined and then returned to Charlie, who installed it.  The result could not be better.  Now I can start from a base-line of a "serviced diesel," and a remanufactured prop shaft. 

The inscription of my name was simply to make sure I got the propeller I brought.  They did a lot of business at the machine shop in Brunswick.  I hope to find a feathering prop in the future, but for now, this will do!


It has taken a few weeks of course.  and during that time I've had time to catch my breath and get some other things done that might have been pushed aside, like the sole boards, which I finished and tossed into the Berg.  But this professional machine work has put me into the next category of work, chain plate installation and stepping the mast.  Getting closer to the water every day!

The cost was worth the replacement.  I now can breathe easy about the power plant and the propulsion linkage.  There's nothing more frustrating than a sailboat with a fickle engine.  I don't think anyone would want to be in a motorboat with an engine which might not work.  So, in a sailboat, without a reliable powerplant one might as well prepare for adventures they only dream of at 2 o'clock in the morning, something bizarre and crazy.  I want a reliable engine backup that can bail us out in a time of  need.  

Circa, 1977, bronze shaft and prop, rusty, corroded, a shaft with a bad oscillation.

Neat, clean, straight, and ready for operation.
So now to finish off some minor details, connect the muffler, put the chain plates, and step the mast.  

I know I have some challenges ahead in making sure the furler works correctly.  I also have to rewire the mast and get the organizer plate on the deck for running the sheets to the cockpit, but those are easy items to get situated in contrast to this work.  I'm now looking to the end of October to splash this Berg! 

I should add that Charlie runs the Company Boat-Biz here in Lake Murray, South Carolina.  I really appreciate their attention to detail in the maintenance of this diesel and their helpfulness in getting this Berg to splash.  The company in Brunswick who did the prop shaft and propeller work is Dominy, the sole marine machinist shop in the city.  I certainly got in and out of there in time due to arrival of Hurricane Matthew which came right on the heels of my departure.