Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Would the work hold?

The past few days our weather pattern has shifted towards more rain.  Fortunately, this has provided good testing grounds for my Berg's leaking problem.  After fastidious attention to detail on the Berg, I watched the black clouds move in over us yesterday once again and kept my fingers crossed for a good test of the work I had done on the genoa track.  

Heading to the club early in the evening for our regular meeting provided me ample time to climb aboard and review the damage or the success of my efforts.  Rain was pouring down and I noticed the cockpit drain thru-hulls were bleeding water down the keel as I mounted the ladder and stepped aboard.  I looked down at the cockpit hatch cover I had installed a couple of weeks ago and it looked tight and wet all over the outside.  I hoped for the best as I pushed the hatch cover and climbed down inside the salon.

Down below I heard the rain hitting all over the deck.  The windows were spotted with mercurial drops of liquid.  I ran my hand around and under the re-bedded windows.  Dry.   I looked in the dark for my work-light and stumbled a bit over a few tools in the process.  This was it.  As I clicked it on, I thought to myself what an arduous piece of work this had been and yet necessary.  "If it does not work, I will have to find another remedy," I sighed to myself.  

Clicking on the light, I opened the first cabinet hatch, the prime offender,  the light bathed the inside and I looked up at the "usual suspects," the bolts which I'd marked.  Dry.  "Really?" Can't be I thought?  Running my fingers along the cabinet it was dry.  Dust from work the other day remained unmoved.  Bolt after bolt was dry and not a trace of wetness anywhere.  I moved forward to the forward offending chain-plate hole.  Dry.  Not a touch of wetness, not a streak, not a hint of wetness.  The forward v-berth even smelled fine.  Mind you, the chain-plates I simply re-taped because I am waiting for the actual re-manufactured plates to arrive.  I will not use this sealant for the chain plates!  They will require an adhesive sealant like Boat Life polysulfide, just fyi.

 The fix was indeed working.  The removal and re-bedding has worked.  So far.  I had used ordinary 3M Silicone Sealant (pictured here) for the bedding and as my last post had mentioned, everything underneath simply had not been touched in 39 odd years.  It was time for some re-fitment on that track and underneath the cap rail.  Interestingly enough, the rivets which join hull and deck were firmly in place and showed no signs of deterioration and no evidence of leaking water down the inside.  

Word of caution to the adventurous, this activity is probably best done with 2 people because of the order required to reinstall the genoa track, which itself, is not curved as it appears, but a straight piece of sturdy metal.  Thus, the order of precedence for reinstallation of parts and items for me was, 1) apply sealant on hull-deck surface for closure under cap rail, 2) re-put cap rail using pressure to insure spread of sealant, 3) apply sealant underneath genoa track before installing 1st anchor bolt pin in foremost position, then using that first pin as anchor with assistance from someone to hold that point with hands 4) force genoa track toward hull and sequentially insert bolt pins one by one making every effort to clear top of cap rail (so as to avoid spread of sealant all over top of cap rail) until last bolts are put, 5) carefully address errant bolt entries due to angle of insertion using persuasive hammer to reseat them to factory positions.


I prefer a clean fix but it's hard to do 3 things at once, that is, install the lead anchor bolt for the genoa track, then add adhesive for that track, then bend that track and insert the next 15 bolts, I found my self using both hands and feet in a creative and muscular adventure.  Some residual silicone clutters the cap rail and track but I prefer this to leaks.
The rebedding of the track and cap was a bit of an ambidextrous operation to say the least.  The photo reveals I had to clean up a bit the next day as without any help I found myself wrestling this genoa track while trying to maintain the integrity of my sealant application!  OCD as I am, I regretted this oversight in my planning but my cranial density prevailed and I conquered this hurdle nonetheless.

After my visit, I was certainly relieved to discover the Berg had survived such rain.  This encounter she had with storm Hermine, I did not want to produce another "issue" of leaks to crowd my agenda, already now, prepping for the next diesel phase, propeller shaft removal and re-fitment.