Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Punishing heat.  Clear beautiful skies are a bane to me as I load my cooler for the daily commute to work on the Berg.

I stuff it with the same gel packs that Tri-Care uses to keep my insulin refrigerated on its way from Tuscon to South Carolina.  I keep the last half dozen every time they send it and the cold gel packs keep drinking products cooler than a Yeti!  And off I go, many mornings I'm very tired even though I slept all night--that's unusual!  Seems the older I get, the less I sleep.  My mother told me she had the same strange occurrence.  Well, she's in another place now where sleep does not occur as far as we know.

 And when I arrive at the work yard, the Berg reminds me of my Collie, very happy to see me and welcomes me aboard for the daily grind.  Today it is port-lights.  I've just finished varnishing the cap rail, and while doing that I ordered some acrylic 3/8ths tinted plastic for the salon replacements.  
This is 3/8ths acrylic.  A tiny bit thicker than the original product.  Looks very dark but has a UV tint that enables one to view out the port-light in direct sun without glasses with ease. 

After removing the interior aluminum window frame, I left the exterior frame glued to the exterior and put my 3M 4000 around the interior lip of this frame pushing it in to its pre-seated position I had done earlier. 
This is called "homework" for adults. Original fiberglass had gotten attached to the frame, the glue used was way too effective making removal a torrid affair in the heat.  But once done, they responded well to treatment.


But before I can put the acrylic into the frames, I decided to clean the openings well, and to rid the exterior aluminum frames of their paint, which had trapped in a few places corroding aluminum.  So their exterior will be natural aluminum, coated with Permalac, designed to sustain metals in extreme exposure to the elements.  Inside, they are much better preserved and despite a bit of grinding and repainting with appliance spray paint, they will be white.
 
This was taken in broad daylight.  Rather dreary isn't it?  I have one pane out and another old portlight pane waiting for extraction.  I labeled everything and replicated the designs at home for insertion later.


And this is later.  You see the aft port pane is seated and frame attached and the forward pane awaiting its tinted acrylic.

And both are in here showing the incredible change made by the Brightsides and the nonglare acrylic UV tinted plastic.  If you can see the original and this and still want the original then you simply don't care about your surroundings.  And some don't.  I do.  This environment inspires me!


And oh, the salon, yes, that I painted with the Brightsides, and what a difference a coating makes!  The dour faded mustard color is replaced with Brightsides.  In fact, I like it so much, as I continue work on her I will paint the interior foc'sle area white as well.  If I have time, I'll do that this month.  

Lots of details in the heat.  Here, soaking wet, I'm removing some handles in anticipation of mounting the original wooden teak handles.  I also removed the "first step" from under the hatch as I think it may interfere with later installation of a shore-power panel.  Not sure yet, but time will tell. 

And the view after the Brightsides, handles replaced, electronics to be rerouted and everything made shipshape.
 The work site is punishingly hot.  Maybe it's because I'm 63, or maybe because it really is hot, it depletes my energy rapidly.  I feel like I'm engaged in some masochistic version of "cross-fit a la berg" as I have to go down the ladder to the truck to find something that was right in front of my eyes in the salon.  Yes that happens more often than I'd like to admit.  I am up and down that ladder like a gym rat, hoping every day that I don't misstep and tumble onto the gravel below.  I wonder if I did fall who'd care to look over and help me?  No one I suppose.  And that would really suck to lie on the gravel, a broken arm, sprained back, burning in the hot sun, just out of reach from my truck and unable to rescue myself.  That's morbid.  But I think about that event often.  So I try to be more than careful.

When 2 or 3pm arrives, I am more than happy to punch my card and head for the shoppette for a cold drink and a cool ride home on the freeway.  I feel rather successful that as I write this entry, it has been 30 days since the Berg arrived and lots of changes have been made.  

  • cap rail repaired, sanded, varnished and complete
  • garden variety gate valve replaced with Groco lever
  • coamings repaired, sanded, varnished and ready to put
  • replaced to dorets on the stern
  • replaced the zinc on the rudder with magnesium
  • pulled portlights without mishap, reputting tinted acrylic
  • chainplates manufactured with 5/16ths bolts ready to reput with strengthening plywood and fiberglass
  • refurbished the V-berth sole with Epiphanes
  • reput leaking stanchion on portside
  • refurbished port side salon cabinet and backing
  • sanded, repaired and painted the cabin salon with Brightsides
  •  validated functionality of bilge pump and automatic indicator
  • inspected interior of forward water tank to determine next best solution
  •  compounded and polished entire freeboard of hull with 3M high speed polish and polisher
And one last photo from lots I took.  Here is a glimpse of one of the teak coamings before rehab:
Looking like a juicy board ready to lunge at you, this is layers and layers of varnish, perhaps added without proper time or conditions.  At minimum they sought to preserve the teak as best they knew.
And here is one taken after I installed the coamings this morning:
And here the partner coaming after rehab, sporting a matte finish, installed with stainless steel Philips' head screws, which will not tear at clothing like the flathead variety.  Quite a difference a bit of work makes.
Of course I'll have to keep after the varnish work, all part of maintenance, just like with the Cape Dory Typhoon.  But time and again people love a boat well cared for.  She might have age, and some awkward this and that, but she's getting to look like she might have game:
In the early morning light, finish varnish on the Cap Rail, some triage of gear taking place, she looks like she's going to be getting in the water soon.
Diesel mechanic is scheduled for this week!  Hope that goes well...