Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, July 8, 2016

It's called, "hurry up and wait," that's the way the Army works, and it doesn't surprise me that waiting on the Alberg should be any different.  So, it provides me another few days of "standing by," as the driver is somewhere probably along Interstate 81 moving southbound toward the Carolinas.

The temps have been cranked-up by Mother Nature this week as well with Friday and Saturday estimates rising into Australian desert ranges, over 100 degrees.  It's a hot summer in this early July, a terrific time to be inside with air conditioning.  I forsee a unintentional weight-loss program as I work on the Alberg this July/Aug as getting in and upside down in the hull to inspect, check, and fix things, will be a sweat bath in itself.  This will just promote quick fixes for other things like fashioning a mooring cover from the current cover.  

I am working with a concept I viewed in Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands, while sailing with friends Sharon and Hugo.  This gorgeous Swan was anchored nearby and had a particularly efficient sun-shade aboard that stuck in my mind.


As you can see, the amid-ships and aft of the vessel is rather protected by this flat shade appearing to be held up by a halyard, over the boom not on the boom.  Hard to see, so here is a closeup of the same photo:


 Ideal, I thought!  so this has been my inspiration since seeing how the pros' do it.  Plus, everyone aboard this Swedish yacht looked especially happy!  I've scribbled my crib notes on an Alberg 30 schematic drawing and will seek to re-manufacture the cover as the above seems to show, held from the top with several lines forming the arch top, then forward and aft on shrouds, and a keeper of some sort fastened to the life-lines.  Before jumping too far forward on this I will shoot this concept to the Alberg Association and find out if someone has already figured this out.  I do not have any intention to work harder in this heat than I have to.

Meanwhile, I wait for my delivery....