Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

April has been all about rigging, and setup, and adjustment.  Weather has been dicey but I found some windows to do some good sailing and get the dory's standing rigging adjusted.

So, in the process of doing some fine tuning on the gal, I took off on a heading of about 180 degrees for about 2 miles and kept my eyes on the leeward turnbuckles which began to move a bit and unscrew.  I knew I needed to stop somewhere out of the wind so I headed for a small cove providing protection from the stiff breezes of the lake.  I could anchor there and get to work unhurried.

Closed turnbuckles remain on my work bench wondering why they were taken off the starter list.

In the lee of this bit of a finger of land, the sun was very warm which before had seemed ineffective against the winds coming from the west.  A cold front provided an entertaining run of a few miles but I could see from the wagging to leeward of the lowers' turnbuckle, that not only was it loose, it was coming unscrewed.  I'd not yet inserted pins as I was in the process of tuning.  So, pulling in on a cool Spring day was well worth it.

Yellow tint in this photo is from the massive pine pollen which falls in March/April, in South Carolina.  New open turnbuckles without their cotter pins, a stretch sail.

The lake is a man-made lake, dating back to the twenties, when it was deforested, creating a lake which reaches a depth of some 356 feet in places.  Along with this are an abundance of characteristics that make a stop an adventure.  There's trees often fallen, below, and might tangle with the keel, or swallow an anchor line, and the bottom is more clay than anything else, sticking to your anchor, or feet, and providing lots of opportunity for scrubbing later.  So, I moved carefully into the lee of the finger and quickly dropped my sails.

The dory coasted ever-so-slowly toward the shore and slowed to my imaginary wish.  I tossed the anchor and paid out line waiting for the wisps of breeze to back her up into the small lagoon.  It worked.  Now I just had to make sure I didn't inadvertently fall into the lagoon, its murky coffee color infused with a bit of green pollen, looked a mess, and besides, what is down there anyway?  I did not want to find out.
Using these circular cotters to see if I can then allow these to remain unwrapped.


Back to doing some rigging management, I carefully crawled around the deck and tightened the rig while examining mast position and general tension of the uppers and lowers.  Once it looked rather straight and taut, I affixed the cotter pins.  I new I'd need some efficient tape or another method, but this would send me back to the club for that.

And after a leisurely lunch with no cigarette boats roaring by, I enjoyed the quiet, and tidied up a bit before hauling anchor and hoisting sails for the journey home.