Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Monday, March 7, 2016

And then some more!

The gravity of this refit continues.  Seems as one thing leads to another, this bit of refurbishing is inching forward on several levels.  Wishing I had a better work-space is little consolation to the reality of persistent rains which interfere with varnishing. 

So as rain interrupted my re-varnish of bright-work, I took time to use the rain to its best advantage and used P1000 to wet-sand all the teak aboard, so that once the rains stop, I can wipe down the surfaces and continue with applications.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  The rain worked well with the wet/dry paper. A win-win for the dory on a rainy day.

Then I looked around and attacked my aluminum cleats on board.   This photo is rather deceiving because these look like little bitty cleats without some sort of reference point.  Yet the larger is 8 inches long and the other dull one is 6.5 inches long, so they are quite robust in their size.  Many use the fore-cleat to tie off the bow and the stern of course with the smaller unit.
Here is a snap after polishing the fore-deck cleat with the aft stern cleat looking dull and unimpressive alongside its larger gleaming companion.  These look like the Herreshoff hollow cleats to me but I can't really be sure.
 Four of the cleats I'd already polished, two on the cuddy cabin and two on the coaming boards.  With great success, armed with Mothers' paste, I brought the entire set home for a rejuvenation session.  I also removed the large and very ugly fore-deck cleat along with its equally homely stern-deck tie-to, both of whom looked weary for wear.
Applying Mothers paste to the dull surface of the stern 6.5 inch cleat.  I had already washed these, scrubbed them a bit with a green kitchen pad and with P1000 wet/dry paper.  This smoothed them a bit but left them dull. 
 
During the polishing process, stopping for a quick photo.

And the finished cleat beaming like a piece of valuable metal, ready for its important task--to take care of the Cape Dory dockside or when needed to secure her during adverse conditions.

My neighbor, with whom I share open garages across from each other, was duly impressed with the simple but effective process of polishing.  Using my work-bench and vise, I used a cotton sock, wrapped the sock around the metal in various approaches, and unveiled what looks more like stainless steel than aluminum.

Forty-two years old. 

Sure, it's a simple thing, but I think simple improvements make a classy entree for this vessel.  So after a bit of cleanup and wire brushing of the stainless steel bolts, I was particularly happy to get such results.  


Here is team Cleat in all their splendor!
 I'm very fond of these little appointments.  I'm looking to update the main-sheet cam cleat on the stern and will look for something more "period" than modern so that it gets along with Team Cleat.  I will be removing the cam cleat that is located astern and hope to find a good candidate for that soon.  Here are a couple of results from the recent refit aboard:
Coaming board cleat and its shadow
Foredeck cleat bristling in the sunshine and ready for tying-to

 A little bit of Mother's Paste and the old white cotton athletic sock did the trick!