Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, February 12, 2016

Good news, parts have arrived for s/v Baggy Wrinkles.

New open turnbuckles, spreaders and tips, uppers and lowers.

Rigging Only produced a complete set of standing rigging in 7 days flat.  And that included shipping.  No kidding.  Service was great.  They understood the task at hand and returned to me my original rigging in individual coils of steel with all parts intact.  And with that send, a complete set of their new rigging taped to identify the locations of uppers, lowers, fore-stay, aft-stay, etc.  
Looks like a refit feast!

When it came to the spreaders, the original equipment was no longer in the inventory and also showed problems of disintegration, yes I said disintegration, can you imagine that?  So they consulted with me and we took the choice to insert the original spreaders inside the new ones, thus sustaining the fitment at the mast yet providing the new rigging new spreaders.  Think of the safety measure they took in this.  Under stress the spreaders could fold and wreak unnecessary havoc during an otherwise favorable tack.  Thanks!
So the fit the original spreader inside the new one thus creating a super spreader!

Recently arrived too are the main and jib halyards from RW Rope, a company that handles oodles of lines for all types of applications and serves as a supplier to Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island.  RW made my halyards to the Cape Dory specifications I provided from the CD Manual directly.  This is because the generic lines supplied to Jamestown did not fit the specs.  This is a supply issue not a manufacturing challenge--get to the supplier.   

Cut to length, and easy color identification for older eyes or landlubbers who set sail with me.

In the meantime, I ordered stainless steel cotters for all my rigging and a replacement Windex, torn off in the yard by tall trees slapping my rigging during a storm last year.  One good thing is getting those points from West Marine!  Reduced the cost of that silly thing in half.  Windexes are expensive!  I've got my eye on that tree now.  If I get a hungry woodsman with a chainsaw, I'll have my way with that thing!  

Ok so my latest and greatest attempt for a thorough solution to these little buggers.   I think this wire supported tubing is the best for the tight angle between cockpit drains and seacocks.
 So a trip to the dory with moderating temperatures will provide some time to refurbish the teak in several places where it has worn to thin.  And, I found time to contort myself and work upside down in the hatchway in Hoses Part 3, replacing my "just in time" logistical challenge of last year's leaking hoses with some inferior tubing from the local Ace Hardware store.  As stated earlier, the Annapolis West Marine carried just the right kind of flexible hose with wire which could handle the small and difficult turn underneath the cockpit sole drain-to-sea cocks which keep the vessel free of liquid aboard.  I double banded those buggers!  And my 2 dollar strainers continue to serve valiantly their role as well.
The closeup of the pig tail snaplink on the aftstay.