Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Some things necessarily have to be done at he same time as when the mast is down for economy's sake.

So while waiting on Rigging Only to ship back my standing rigging, I'll order a couple of halyards from Jamestown Distributors, and figured to get the mast support engineered so that trailering the dory is safe and easy.  As the photo here shows, the mast simply needs to get off the top of the dory and that requires an extension fitted to the front stem of the trailer.  Yes, it should have been fabricated when the trailer was constructed, but some things are not self-evident to the builders and the input process from the customer is hard at best.  So, it was left to the customer to retrofit, alas me.

The idea is to create an extension from the stem which pushes straight up and cradles the lower 3 foot section of the mast at that position thus reducing overhang at the stern and also relies upon some lift from the stern.  Without the standing rigging attached along with the spreaders, the mast lies about 2 inches off the cabin top.  With a bit more lift from a rear device I should be able to lift the mast to about 4 inches off the cabin top.
If you're looking at this you can see the extension provides sufficient angle to lift the mast off the cabin top.  Rather than a rubber fender as in this photo, I will use a firmer structure made of plastic or perhaps wood which will be attached to the quarterdeck and provide a tie-down area for rubber heavy duty bungies.

And this is the result at the bow end of the structure as I had returned to the yacht club and provisionally covered the dory awaiting the rigging.  It is pretty thick steel, non-galvanized but painted by the shop for a nicer look.  It will deteriorate, so I may have to have it galvanized for the long run.  I tossed a towel into the support bracket for the ride home.  I prefer to install a rubber cushion in the bracket which weather cannot harm.  With this addition, the trailer is pretty much complete now.  

I've missed a few good days of wind on the lake but the el Nino effect has brought so much rain to our region that I figured now was as good a time as any to refit the dory.  The changes will be a welcomed thing as now I can chart when the rigging has been changed.  Plus, this has given me additional time to check other issues like the portions of teak which need a bit of attention, the cockpit draining tubing which I did procure in Annapolis while in DC a few weeks back, and other small items which simply need a few hours of work.  All very easy yet time-consuming.