Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Since I'm on the road for another week I figured I might as well do what I usually do when I'm not sailing, look at some sailboats for sale!  It's just a habit.  One day am thinking of adding a cruising vessel to my inventory in order to do some coastal sailing.  For later...

So I took some time and traveled across the Chesapeake to find a couple of Sparkman & Stephens' designs that were on sale in Rock Hall.  The drive was great, gentle hills, green rye grass everywhere, and a sunny Winter day.  Kind of like we have down South in Winter.  Snow had not arrived.  There was a hint of cold in the bright skies too however.  It is a beautiful drive from the Bay Bridge to Rock Hall, and once there it appears to be a delightful country location.  Agent told me that it is invaded by folks from Philly in the Summer months!

This is a cool day on the lake down in the South.  Afternoon sun warms up the teak coaming on the portside.
So we walked around the crushed rock terrain of the marina, saw the vessels which had peeked my interest, and saw another vessel on a fire-sale, had some good conversation with the sales person and made the drive back over the expansive twin span.  A cold haze hung over the deck at about 1000 feet obscuring vision past about 5 miles.  I didn't see any sailboats out on the water at 2pm in the afternoon, which surprised me a bit.  But then I don't sail this area and despite the obvious recognition of the water and its history, I have to just look and see and learn.  But the visit was good.  I was amazed at the number of boats stored on the hard, about 1400!  So many hulls, so many stories, so many boat dreams.

Perspective from over my shoulder on a cool southern sail on the lake...

Temperatures here in Maryland are too cool to be even remotely comfortable for sailing unless you're training for a cold weather event.  And the weather has just recently turned very cold.  I could see launching for a few hours at the most, and then head back for some warm-up activities for the rest of the afternoon.

Soon I'll be headed back south to a cool winter and some fine lake sailing again.  Chris, in Michigan, on Get Kraken, shared some very very frigid pics of his marina on his blogsite (see list to the right).  I'm scared to death of such cold!  Does make me appreciate our extended sailing season tho.  We don't take it for granted either!  We've got a bit of protective gear for those days too...it doesn't take much, I'll confess.

We're not out of the woods yet however. The cold pushing-in from the north tends to hit us several times during January and February.  And before we know it March comes and we await the countdown to summer heat.  So, this is a great sailing season for us!