Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Cold temps and good weather seems to be the right time to get done some refit for Baggy Wrinkles.  While the lake promises some great sailing, January is a bit prickly temperature-wise, especially as I've several items to fix aboard.  And you know how it goes, you see one thing and then another, and figure, well I'll not be doing this again for a long while...so, why not fix that too?

A provisional setup to get to the trailer modification.  Mast has to be lifted so that it sufficiently clears any contact with the top of the cuddy cabin.  Provides time to examine all rigging components and possibly apply some fresh non-skid while the weather is good and warmish.

And then one thing leads to another!  Have hauled her to the trailer fabricator for a modification to support the mast during road trips, then took advantage of this time to remove and closely examine all standing rigging and halyards.  Have determined a quick fix is important and timely. 

Windex was torn off by branches coming into contact with it during a severe storm some months back when the device was brand new.  I know, lucky me....


These little buggers annoy me cause I would prefer to see my swages rather than guess at their location.  I've put off this replacement for a number of years now.  I guess this might be the right time to replace while I am re-looking the condition of my standing rigging.
 So, after some conversation with my fellow Cape Dory folks on the website of the CDSOA, I decided to confer with the smart folks at Rigging Only for a rigging overhaul.  They seemed extremely knowledgeable and helpful, the latter, something one looks for when trying to engage an older vessel's characteristics and requirements.  After conversation with the folks at Rigging Only, I bundled up my standing rigging and sent it off for inspection and refit where necessary, especially those barrel-turnbuckles.  They seem to be especially troublesome in that unless secured with the nut properly, they'll begin to turn while underway.  Pretty soon, the rigging begins to deteriorate in terms of tension.  I'll have them change these out with an open style turnbuckle so that at least dealing with the device is obvious rather than concealed.

While doing my inspection I noted in particular one lower shroud, a problem I had not seen, where several strands of the stainless steel wire had broken at the swage point!  Then while removing the forestay from the mast I discovered the cotter pin holding the pin had never been crimped.  Yes, truly remarkable, never been crimped, and it was simply inserted through the holding pin and could be removed gently with my fingers!  I shuddered to think how many blows this had been through and still managed to survive!  I duly chastised myself for not thoroughly checking my rig.  After all, it's nobody's fault but my own that I missed checking.

We all like to sail our boats but you can't see the problems from 15 to 20 feet like this sailor, taken by the 1st Mate of Baggy Wrinkles' Skipper

It was a good process to de-rig the boat, step down the mast, and examine everything for defects.  We all like to be on our boats rather than working on them, however, it is part of the routine to do the maintenance.  I also like the aspect of knowing every part of the vessel so I can anticipate problems better.

So, a bit more time on the hard now, waiting for the rigging to return, waiting for the trailer fix, and then I'll suit her up again and test her on the lake.