Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Monday, November 2, 2015

What do you do when this happens?

Well it just happens.  Sometimes the wind doesn't arrive on the day you arrive to sail.  And you must have a plan or else leave yourself open to disappointment and the loss of expectations which, thankfully, seem to become less of an issue the older one gets, so preparation is easier at least.
Surely your vessel never looks like this.  The bulkheads are looking rather plain--will have to add some safety information or nautical looking paraphernalia to add a bit of sea-worthiness to this environment below in case grand children show up.  But they'd probably want some food stocks and soft-drinks too!
 So it happened to me the other day.  So I had tied the Typhoon to the dock overnight to arrive for a bit of sailing the next day.  The day was beautiful but the wind was 3 to 5 kts with most of it being 0 to 3 kts.  Temperatures were great and with so many little things to do about the boat I decided instead to "mess around" aboard instead of sail.  That's the phrase borrowed from the Wind in the Willows and it kept coming to mind as I spent time aboard simply paying attention to details I'd shelved for a less active time.  That time had come.  It's important to know these times.

Since resurfacing the hull and painting the mono-urethane, I've been quite happy with the condition of things below the waterline.  Aboard topside, I'm noticing the need for some attention to re-varnishing some of the rub-rail as it gets quite a bit of use and little appreciation for its efforts in daily use.  Making mental notes along the way I randomly paid attention to various items needing attention: the cockpit drain piping I want to replace (again), the caulking between the interior fiberglass surrounding each porthole and deck plate, a bit of cleaning on the same fiberglass, attention to the stainless steel nuts which have attracted a bit of soiling from the environment, a bit of Mothers polish needed on the winches, and so my list grew.  I didn't write these things down.  It's a small vessel.  Discipline is light to recall things to-do although I have left my little plastic clinometer at home several times with the thought that I'd apply that to the bulkhead on my next trip over to the lake.  But this time I brought it!
So this is what these sliders on the cockpit are for! 

But too much for the moment so I decided upon a strategy for these problems, ...I'd have a cigar!  This was not a capricious decision.  I'd brought one of my collection aboard.  I had planned this nexus of things I enjoy for their ability to intersect at moments just such as this.

The cigar was just the right answer for the moment.  I opened the forward deck-plate for some draft and settled in for what I would call some strategic thinking aboard Baggy Wrinkles. 

That time went well.  From my berth below I was able to wile away the time quite efficiently with a cigar I'd purchased from my "pal" Carlos, from the Algarva in Portugal who runs a bit of a store and has the nicest demeanor as he displays a footlocker sized humidor of a thousand cigars stacked neatly like munitions in his custom oak and cedar treasure chest.  They're only about $2.50 apiece contrasted to the exorbitant 8 to 10 dollars wanted online.  The smoke drifted through the cabin while I considered what a great deal this cigar was.  
Some strategic planning taking place aboard Baggy Wrinkles.  Why appear to be busy at such a critical time as this?  Part of being a sailor is taking times to chill-out and think about things. 

Cigars are good when otherwise you'd fiddle with something.  At least with a cigar you can enjoy the flavorful leaves grown for just such a purpose, enjoyment, and money of course.  But for us, the clientele, we of the cigar aficionados of the world, it's not about much more than flavorful musing, and strategic thinking, of course, done while appreciating the pleasant aroma.  A good cigar will also be delightfully aromatic in the air while a poorly manufactured one will reek of pneumonia from leaves whose humidity rose too high and were rolled and shipped to the unawares.  Be advised!

Well this messing-about was going real well I thought, and the weather was quietly impressive too.  I did what sailors have to do in times like this, I straightened things up and found good use of my bright orange crate down below as a catch-all for stuff; another technical term for important things you might need one day.  You always will need a knife and a lighter I said to myself as I confidently arranged things below, and a towel, a jacket, some extra line, bracket for the Go-Pro, assorted burgees, some winch grease, and on and on...

I found this time particularly useful and a great stress-relief.  Sometimes when you're not so 'busy' you have time to take a look around and ask yourself why you've not done such and such, or this and that, and you make a to-do list to get those done.  It all makes for good use of time when the weather is taking a break itself.  No mind, it is a good use of time.  
View from below decks through the forward brass deck-plate found at Bristol Bronze. 

The hours drifted by, with an occasional wave to others paddling a scow or flying-Scot towards shore, reputing my flag stanchion on the taff-rail after spraying it a more pleasant gold color, topping-off my outboard-something which means security to me, and feeding a few squatting spiders to the fish in the murky lake waters below.  I was accomplishing some important little tasks left for times just like this. 
 
So wrapping the mainsail cover over the boom and tying the rudder amidships, I checked the dock-lines again and tidied up a bit before making my way home having felt confident that this bit of strategic pause was just what was needed today.
Fall weather is particularly seductive with its combination of fading summer hues and the intermittent bold arrival of reds.  Here, Baggy Wrinkles looks particularly ready for some action as the day of messing about down below decks comes to an end.