Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, September 4, 2015

One feature of the Cape Dory that I especially enjoy are the special bronze appointments that compliment the vessel.

Everyone seems to appreciate either the faded teak look or the revitalized teak, me the latter, and the patina look of bronze or the real look of bronze.  For me I wanted to protect a couple of bronze areas just because I think the newer look has a better effect on the eye, yet on places like the bow-plate, difficult to soak in vinegar, which will clean it like new, it comes across with quite a bit of historical flavor quietly doing its job up front.  Here are a few of my favorites:

I deliberately worked carefully around the scuppers on the hull to remove old sloppy paint.  Then I taped a plastic applesauce cup around the bronze, perfect fit, and put a paper towel soaked in vinegar inside.  After a few hours it restored the bronze to its original metal color.  Then I used Permalac spray to sustain the look.

Another piece I soaked in a bucket and sprayed last year some time.

I used a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket on this motor bracket along with a couple of gallons of white vinegar. Kind of a good look to have the uneven quality look.  I scrubed this with a wire brush as well.  Vinegar did most of the work.

I chose to restore the original color of the bronze winch stands.

Although I could, and might later, use a towel soaked in vinegar to treat this bow-plate, I enjoy the old world look it provides the Dory.

There is something classic about the patina.
There are lots of dories being restored to various degrees of originality.  I think that is the enjoyable part of owning a sailboat like the Cape Dory.  You can always find something to fix on it, yet in the meantime, it always looks great!