Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The heat around this time of year is grueling and tenacious. 

Sometimes it will tease you with a knot or 2 then die when you are a mile from port leaving you to your best planning and preparation.
With little wind to interrupt the southern furnace, our sailing area tends toward becoming a mirror-like surface which broils the crew and pours UV rays with its refracted power the sun bleaching sails, drying lines, and cooking anything in its path.  I have to say there is one time on the water I cannot stand; those times when a windless mirror of silver water and the exhaustive dehydration which comes with the hopeless thought of a breath of wind seers every living creature in its grasp.  I've given up on races when waiting for wind to build.  I've flaked sails and headed proudly for home when others blindly bobbed in the broil while I run for extraction from the grasp of this menacing torture.  These are conditions which are prima for water-skiing but don't give much to the sailor in these hottest of the days of summer.
Osage Starfire Spirt, or Kira, her stage name, contemplating the heat on a summer day.  She's definitely not a southern animal.  She's dreaming of frigid temperatures. 


So, to fend-off temporary acedia, I flip-flop and focus on other things during these unbearable periods when weather patterns give no relief.  Even my collie refuses to go outside for but the most ordinary of reasons, remaining in the a/c and the protection of the cool tile and wood floors.  She's a good indicator for me of when it is unreasonably hot.  But too, I use these times beneficially to do some of that online researching for little items I need to address on Baggy Wrinkles. 

While she is safely hiding from the heat, I browse the online websites, looking at how I can improve her standing rigging, her blocks, tracks, cleats, and appointments and I create my to-do list of improvements.  Another easy task to perform is periodic teak varnishing on some of the high-use areas.  This is easily performed in the early morning cool temperatures.  Plus, the ever-continuing search for oddities like cockpit drain screens, improvements to simple connectors in the rigging, and checking linkages in high stress areas like the shrouds and fore-stay make for good use of time when the thought of sailing is the last thing I'm thinking. 

I also look at boats, other boats, other designs, and then I come back to the 18.5 foot Typhoon and consider myself luckier than that guy on SailboatListings.com who has a 1985 50 footer on the hard, deteriorating, cannot sell cause they want too much money for what it would actually take for one to get the vessel operational again, and my eyes grow swollen and tired at the small writing which indicates the listing was put many years ago.  That boat, and many others, probably can't even be sold anymore.  And if you have one, you'd best keep it, cause no one is going to offer you what you put into yours to keep it so gorgeous all those years.  It's a grandchild thing, not even your children will want it when you're long gone.  

On days I don't sail, I think about things like this and a few other things, it doesn't matter, one doesn't have to be in a hurry with a boat like this.

A GoPro still snap, while underway on a decisively dory day in the spring.