Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, August 21, 2015

Sometimes the most dangerous part of sailing, for me, is the launch and haul-out.  Some drama in it. 

Being a "dry sailor" I keep Baggy Wrinkles on a trailer safe and sound between her auditions.  With the debris and weather, a tremendous amount of deterioration is avoided by keeping her covered on a trailer. 

Sitting safe and sound on her trailer, cover taut, waiting for her next adventure on the water.  Every day she is out of the water is a day saved on the end of her life-span as deterioration is momentarily slowed and the UV rays are prevented from eating at the fiberglass and teak. 

In my opinion, the adventure of heading to the ramp is more dramatic than when she's 2nd reefed, heeled over in 25+ kts of wind!

After putting the new coating of mono-urethane on her hull, I have taken great care to make sure she gets on and off the trailer without scraping any parts of her hull and leaving that paint on the trailer.  One tendency of the dory hull is that sometimes it seems to miss the keel alignment boards and noses between the upper bunks and the bottom keel opening supports.  This makes for an awkward and inappropriate positioning of the hull.  Call it dangerous for a paintjob.

So some brainstorming for a quick and easy solution.  Rubber?  Foam?  More structures on the trailer? 

Going with the old adage used in the military schools that "less is better" at this juncture, I decided to just increase enough rubber and foam to protect the entrance of the keel board alignment area in order to nose the dory into its cradle, just right.  Some trailers look as if they are overbuilt while others look woefully inadequate.  So, after scratching that gorgeous paint job I took a month to produce, I made a couple of "preventers" at the opening of the keel bed to preclude any false entries at haul out. 

The stiff rubber tubing at the entry point was my first attempt to guide the keel in gently.  As that did not do the trick, I added the foam insulation wrap tied to the galvanized (say dangerous to the keel!) metal uprights so that a missed entry does not become a paint removal event.

If this does not meet the need, I will look to put some sort of preventer which will go from the entrance of the keel bed to the first bunk support or the stiff rubber tubing which will decisively prevent the hull from entering either the left or right of the bed.

Yeah, the hoses extruding from the bunk look rather silly, but meant to guide the keel as the dory enters the keel guide.

It's not a big thing but when you want the underneath to look as pretty as the deck, you've got to take serious measures to protect the keel from nicks and scratches.