Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, June 26, 2015

Post 100

From the outset of this blog, the Cape Dory Typhoon has been an adventure of efforts for me, and learning about it and improving on it has been one of my goals.  Another has been to not over-improve, or update with new technology, a perfectly well-designed little boat.


One of the items I've often wondered about changing is the installation of a traveler system on the stern deck.  Friends elsewhere have installed Harken systems at the going rate of about 700 or 800 dollars for a traveler system, which would obviously provide me better purchase on pointing, but might over-improve the boat.  But then, the Ty they own is involved in racing every Wednesday evening at their club and I think if I were doing that I'd probably be inching ever so closely to the same improvements.  I don't compete often at all.

Manufactured in 1974, Hull #729, Cape Dory Weekender model, renamed in Summer 2014 "Baggy Wrinkles"

 I've owned a large sailboat and understand what new and nice is, but there is something very attractive about a boat which may not perform well in a time trial, like a race, but does well in giving you endless enjoyment sailing with ease, stability on the water, and a feeling of artistry underway.  And so I think this is a personal decision that I make about my Typhoon, i.e. to keep it original.  So, the draw-back is that I come-in last in any race in which I compete but I come in first every time I sail the lake, and miss a tack pointing around an island, and have to resolve it with another approach. Or, when my Ty withstands heavy winds with aplomb, and find my rig simply keeps giving and giving without seeming to overreact.  It's a joy.

A Winter afternoon with cool temps and a stiff breeze.


I think if I wanted more performance on the water I'd get a performance boat instead of a museum piece.  But you have to calculate age and your own flexibility and capability.  Getting hit in the head by the boom really gets my attention these days.  And when I hit my knees on the bulkhead I get hurt, not like years ago when I'd get a bruise and ignore it.  So, perhaps my friend is right, the Cape Dory Typhoon is the perfect "old geezer" sailboat. Ok!

Two Carl Alberg designs tied-to at the Yacht Club; Typhoon and Ensign

But here, at 100 posts, I'm looking ahead and putting together a project list of things I really need to perfect on the dory that I've not done yet.  These will comprise a variety of my future posts.  And, I'm still thinking of how I'm going to get some underway on-the-water footage of Baggy Wrinkles.  This may occur in late summer when a friend will launch his boat on the lake and provide a good filming platform.  I'll also be monitoring the hull paint, the teak condition, and other maintenance points, and there's the rigging and sails, and small appointments throughout the inside and deck, so a lot to be concerned about in future posts. 

The adventure continues.  This is a sailboat that can certainly outlast my lifetime.  Thanks for following.  Who knows where she'll go next or what sort of obscure part may have to be refitted to her?  That's all part of the fun of an old boat.
Autumn evening sets in after a day's sail.