Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Duties ashore have kept me from a test-sail as of yet.  Perhaps that's just as good, allowing time for the paint to cure hard for a while before I splash Baggy Wrinkles for some sailing.

But then, winds in summer here in the south USA are not as predictable as in winter.  Plus, it gets very hot and humid, which make for a miserable state of affairs on a tiny yacht!  So, one has to choose their sailing venue carefully. 


While she's out of the water, I've removed a few items that badly needed maintenance intervention!

I've removed the aluminum protective strip from the stern and carried it to my favorite metal workers here in the city.  I needed a metal worker to take this "dreary" strip of aluminum and spruce it up.  I knew just the guys too....

This aluminum half round finishes the stern but is old and tattered.  Need a new piece to meet the teak taff-rail appearing above it.

These metal shop guys are incredible.  I've used them for fabricating a couple of motorcycle parts and for straightening and fitting my genoa tracks, and just knew that if it could be done, these guys could do it.  You know it's a good place when the guys smile and scratch their heads and talk in possibilities.  They don't get very excited about anything, however they seem to love a new challenge.  So, I left the strip with them.

Like everything about boats, it seems there is always another project competing for my attention.  And the next items are my dull British Gibb winches which I would like to retain, because they are original, and yet I don't really know how to polish them at this point they're so anodized.  I tossed them into the car for a trip down to the shop as well.  I am certain the guys will have some idea, perhaps culled from the years of experience with metals, which will turn these Gibb one-speed cans into sparkling wonders of design.

The Gibb winch is a one speed winch made of aluminum which has had some deterioration due to weather and normal exposure.  Would like to get these polished-up so they are a bit more presentable.  The stands upon which the Gibb winches are bolted are made of bronze but I cleaned them with vinegar and sealed them with Permalac spray.  They really look much better with the Permalac, retaining a bit more of their original color.

Upon closer examination, these winches really need some TLC:

 The pitting I'm told is from the elements penetrating the anodized surface over many years of exposure.   The teeth inside appear ok and despite the rough part of the winch, my sheets grab these barrels just fine and are able to release well too.  


Still, I wonder how they'd look if they were polished up.  Then I could maintain them with something like Mother's or Permalac perhaps. 
 
 
They should be coming back from the shop any day now.  I've gotten a peek preview already and I can state emphatically, you will not believe how beautiful these pieces can be!

This painting process has been a good time for some substantial fixes.  I believe after this session, besides going sailing real soon, I will fix my attention on the standing rigging.  I'm already replacing running rigging in a variety of places.  The standing rigging will be another adventure....but sailing comes first!