Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Just a note on positioning of hull and boot stripe.  A day before I painted the hull I did one more thing that'd clean the hull a bit and permit me to see one last time, before any paint touched the hull, where the water-line met the hull.  

I launched the Dory to see exactly at what point the water would rise.  This I did after I'd finished the hull sanding and before I painted the bottom.  By this, I was able to determine with some degree of accuracy the position of my hull and boot stripe.
The penciled lines are evident at the upper right.




So then, after seeing things naturally rather than just by measurement, I was able to place the boot-stripe in position.  Interesting process.  And a bit counter-intuitive as lines play tricks on the eyes.

Once the paint dried on the boot stripe, I launched Baggy Wrinkles one more time to see how the water met the hull.  It appeared a happy ending as I watched the lines of the hull meet the lake.  Even the colors looked smart in its environment.

The Typhoon is a pretty and classic design.  And this painting seems to show-off her design.  Rather than a dazzling red or a brilliant blue, the calm grays join together to offset an aging white freeboard.  The additional grey pin-striping under the rub-rail carries the eye upward into the warm teak above it and onto the deck with its assortment of original equipment, aluminum cleats, bronze guides and plates, and portholes.  

Here are 2 photos, a before and after of the difference in appearance:

Grey bottom paint peeks out at the bow and disappears to stern.

A pronouncedly bolder line runs from bow to under stern tail.  Provides for a visible boot stripe with added weight.

Having struggled against the harbinger of messy weather and a schedule that took me away from the lake for the best part of a month, she was for the most part finished.  I wet-sanded the freeboard and applied my 3M polishing compound once more, bringing a smooth and mirror-like appearance to the upper hull.
Just before freeboard compounding/polishing and put away for a few weeks.