Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Well, after a week of monsoon rain, the southern US finally began to dry out.  This rain also interfered with my bottom paint removal and got me off-schedule, as much off-schedule a retiree can be I guess...

With brilliant sun and cool morning temperatures, I made my pilgrimage to the Yacht Club where Baggy Wrinkles sat silently under her fabulous cover, waiting for her hull to be sanded clean.

It's not an easy process without a boat lift and a dedicated work space.  Feeling a bit like an indigenous and resourceful islander, I had to make-do with the situation, tying off to nearby trees in order to lower the bunks and finish off the task.  With no small amount of trepidation I paused for some "thinking time" as I sat looking at this new "wing on wing" design to hold the dory in place.  "I'm no engineer, I'm a humanities guy," I mused to myself, munching a Cliff Bar.  I'm trying to keep the calories low too, like all of us.

So, then I tried once again to push the port bunks down.  They resisted a bit, resistance I perceived as weight on the mid section of the bunks?  Could it be?  Would Baggy Wrinkles teeter and fall on the trailer with galvanized spears of metal angling upward to tear open her 40 year old fiberglass?  Whew, I hoped I had thought this through...


 
To my surprise and delight, some cajoling managed to budge the supports loose and the port bunk dropped to the ground, leaving me the best part of about a foot of space in which to remove the remaining ablative paint.

Really, the task is hard enough without having to worry about the dory flopping over on the trailer!  An aluminum ladder supports her at the rub-rail however more symbolic than necessary.  I felt better with it myself!

 
Once done,  I realized it had been a good 4 hours of work just for these two bunk areas.  In total, I'm not calculating hours, but days.

Along with this stage, I'm in conversation with Epiphanes about the best possible type and color of bottom paint.  More to come...