Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Saturday, April 11, 2015

The arduous task has begun.

This past week has been multiple days of sanding the hull on Baggy Wrinkles.  Fortunately, the hull has revealed only two coats of paint--I think rather unusual for a vessel that is over 40 years old.  On my fellow Ty blogger's page, Kraken, his hull task was very much more arduous than mine.  And I'd figured I would encounter the same layer after layer of paint but discovered a straight-forward job.  The only tough part has been physically hanging-in there for the duration!


So I devoted myself to the task of etching away every day at the hull, relentlessly, in order to make my progress over whatever amount of time necessary to do the job.  I set my expectations low.  After all, I've done quite a bit of fiberglass work making surfboards and in car repair, and this is a version of that same genre, to be philosophical about it.

The hard thing is being patient with the sander.  After hand washing and scrubbing the ablative paint with the green scratchy pad, I used my Dewalt square hand sander and 60 grit to slowly etch away at the rest of the ablative.  I also attached my wet/dry vacuum so that the dust would be captured in the vac rather than in my lungs.

After this week of sanding, she is looking like she might be ready for a barrier coat soon:
And as I have noted, the barrier coat was applied by a paintbrush, thus making its removal an uncertain task.  Not that it must be removed mind you, but that once the red ablative is off, attention to smoothing the surface is critical for the application of the next paint.

This view from the bow, provides a good look at the natural lines of the Typhoon hull, swooping down to the lead keel.  One can also see the need for a proper alignment of the boot stripe which will come later, after the hull paint is applied.  The previous version washed off in the power-wash years ago.  The new boot stripe I have determined will be wider.  

For the time being however, I am not thinking about painting, only sanding.  There is more to be done yet:

The view from the stern.  Yup, there's just a bit more to be done yet.  Plus, there is some rudder work to be done to help sustain the original design.  Although the rudder feels fine in movement and its integrity, a bit of fiberglass will encourage it for another generation.

The bit of separation here extends half way on the rudder.  Original fabrication designed the rudder to be held by fiberglass strips.  Somewhere they have been filed away, perhaps by sandpaper or by use.  No matter, a thin, yet strong, fiber can be glassed into position now insuring this original craftsmanship will proceed for many years to come.
So the hull story continues...