Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Thursday, April 30, 2015

It might not be a big deal to some, but to me, choosing the color on this hull is a big decision.  




After all, you might argue, it really doesn't get seen very much.   And this is true, it's a bottom paint.  I'm not going to touch the freeboard area.  I'm satisfied enough with the paint on it for the time being.  Perhaps later I'll do that and perhaps not.  Why mess with something that is working just fine.  But the hull underneath the boat is worth doing now because it is in transition.

So, what color?  Any suggestions?  If I leave the freeboard white, then there is a grey boot stripe, what should the bottom be?  Glad to take recommendations.  Keep in mind that the boot stripe is already selected, grey, so the color of the bottom may be dark and could also be darkish tan?  Tan might contrast well with the teak on the deck and rub-rails. 

While you're thinking, consider the palette of the mono-urethane colors from Epifanes at this link:   http://www.epifanes.com/page/colors .  The colors are listed by type of paint, thus, mono-urethane colors are my choices.  I used Epifanes matte finish for my teak refinishing two years back, and I've been quite happy with its durability and look.  I also like the personal service of the company.  Nobody is too small to get great customer service.  Take a look:  https://vimeo.com/121065972

I'm going to ask you to comment but also ask someone who is an artist and also owns a Cape Dory sailboat, albeit larger than mine.  She is an artist and entrepreneur and her products are quite interesting, Belinda del Pesco:  https://plus.google.com/110270954917684026559/posts .  With nearly 3 million hits, she is quite an accomplished individual.  Maybe she'll have an idea for me too! 

So, a little like Winnie the Pooh, I'm scratching my head about this contrasting paint dilemma hoping that as I proceed, things may get clearer to me.  What to do? 

Feel free to write and tell me your color selections!