I got up early the next morning and was sipping my German coffee. A friend of ours works overseas and returns every year to see family, stopping by our place, catching up, and bringing all sorts of German, mixes, chocolates, and best of all, kaffee!
So there I am, coffee in hand, early in the morning peering at the 115 photos the 1st Mate had taken of our cover operation the day before of our newly arrived cover from the Sailor's Tailor, when I realized what we had failed to do the day previous.
But we had to step back to see it. There, in the final photo from the last post was the apparent mistake, a sagging foredeck cover, and too high a pitch for the aft points, plus, not enough pull-down along the rub-rails to draw the cover snug. Not a big deal, but big enough to frustrate the cover's ability to protect our little bitty yacht.
|Looks pretty good eh? Hmm...|
First, I lowered the end of the boom, and the tent of the cover with it. I detached the "pig tail" and let the topping lift hold the boom. Removed the engine and bracket to provide for a good wrap around the stern. It's light, only takes a second to lift off.
Second, I attached the main halyard to the reef hook, providing just the right amount of "level" to the tent, and re-tied the mast neck material, thus also increasing the tug on the foredeck material. Having the reef hook available is a very convenient hook up.
Third, I went to ground and temporarily affixed the front-most part of the cover to the chain which holds the dory on the trailer. I realize I need a quick hook at that point now.
From there I worked around the gunwales (that's a funny word going back to military terminology) retying each nylon cord to pull down below the rub-rail about 6 inches of cover material which immediately brought the cover into proper placement. All the corrections brought shape and function back to the sagging cover. Credit the coffee!
With all these improvements the cover began to take on its functionality. Foredeck with adequate grade to dispel elements.
Looking aft, even tension and overlap, boom flat rather than tipped up.
And my favorite, the stern-
Once accomplished, everything got much, much, tighter and I think suitable for weathering the rain and ice which was ahead in a couple of days. And this is what she looked like:
Backing away from the dory she looks a bit better now with proper sizing all around, pulled evenly over the rub-rail achieved by lowering the topping lift (not using the pig-tail) and lifting a bit at the goose-neck while pulling downward to drape over the rub-rail for a complete enclosure. Voila:
|Compare this photo with the first photo of Baggy Wrinkles above|