Well, the old sails were suffering from a lot of good sailing weather. The fabric tore easily and the bronze grommets and hanks were corroded, stains from activity are baked into the crinkled texture. Yet, with all of this, and a bit of careful work, I figured I could pull together a couple of curtains for 2 windows of about 40 inches squared each.
Using ordinary hardware from Lowes or Bed Bath and Beyond, I affixed a couple of arms to hold the spar in place and the sail cloth hung perfectly. I inserted a small steel rod in the bottom seam of each curtain to provide "pull" on the cloth. I cut my own pieces of wood to affix at the ends of the spars including a small hole in each. Before affixing the wood caps I inserted and knotted the end of the sail rope to finish off the look.
Well, this project is "in process" and needs more time. With being away from home and such, I've had to delay a final fix on these curtains.
I decided these wooden end caps were too hard to make for me, and I ordered some caps from Dwyer Aluminum instead. By the time I return home, the end caps will be my fix and with some sewing of the hem around the steel rods, I'll be close to hanging these curtains up for a final fix. Here are a couple of pics of the curtains in place without the end caps:
Next step will be to emplace end caps, sew the bottom hem, and have curtains "a la carte."