Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Balancing between keeping the dory on tack, a GoPro that keeps jumping into the lake, and minding my route, I managed to get a bit of nice footage of a gorgeous sailing day.  Using a GoPro mounted on a pole extending from the flag mount, I chronicled about 2 hours of footage of a 3 hour sail.  There are so many things we don't see since we're not getting the entire view of the vessel underway.  Not saying this is the best photography, but it is an attempt to get a candid view of sail handling and effects of a tack in the dory.

This  partial chart above reveals my approximate tacks and rhumb lines across Lake Murray.  The red straight line is my downwind course.  Once to the finger of land at the top of the chart, I was able to simply "turn the corner" taking the wind on the beam returning to our "cove" area.  In all, probably had about 10 miles of sailing in this sequence.  Measured boat speed was about 4.5 kts at any given time.


Below is the first of two videos I took on the sail in which the conditions changed from windy and gusty to gusty and blustery, rain pouring out of squalls coming across the lake.  Rather than return to the Yacht Club, and intent on getting to "Bomb" Island, I set forth to make my way.  There was no convective activity, so I felt quite confident that the most I would encounter would be cold and wet.  Winds were gusting to 24 kts according to my handheld anemometer and waves were beginning to be quite bossy at about 2 feet or so.


In the map above I give an approximate idea of wind direction from the West and my approximate headings as I made my way slowly to the west beating against the blustery weather.  For an idea of the first hour of sailing, I have pared down a couple hours of GoPro video to about 3 mintues, tossed in some delightful music, and give you an "over-the-shoulder" look at what it must have been like to be aboard the Baggy Wrinkles on the first part of this day of sailing:




  It's take a bit of time to edit the footage on this 3 to 4 hours of sailing.  However, I think these frames will help the observer get a feel for the way the Cape Dory handles in the wind and waves.  This was the most pleasant part of the day.  The next installment will illustrate how weather will change and conditions worsen.  One has to be prepared for that when sailing out in nature's playground!