Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Saturday, November 22, 2014

A busy week aboard Baggy Wrinkles.  With a brief pre-winter storm on the way, I wanted to make sure I'd completed my waterproofing tasks aboard.  Didn't want all that water to have a chance to seep past my toe-rails and find a home down below.  Plus, I wanted to update my sea-cock tubing.  So, off to the dory for a handful of days of finishing off the sealant and getting the tubes fitted.

Every trip to the dory usually entails a pass by West Marine for something.  And, being that Baggy Wrinkles is in her 40's, she's usually got a parts problem that is hard to remedy.  Ill fitting screws, and then old parts that break, like happened this week with the aft-stay base screws.  While reinstalling one of them, I did what you never want to do, I twisted the screw just a tad too far and "pop!"  The screw head toppled onto the taff-rail and looked back at me as if I should have known it would happen.  I forgot how old it was!

So that meant a trip to the Depot for a tapping screw, since I don't carry that in my regular coterie of gear.  I was fortunate to get that one out.  And I was more fortunate that the Typhoon is so simple a vessel, once it fell into the hold, it was a screw driver's reach from an open seat hatch to stern.  These little victories make me feel great.

 The final strip of sealant went well and blends in nicely with the hull gel coat.  I'd re-varnished the rub rail the other week.  The most critical thing is that this provides just that added security against unwanted water aboard.  I also added sealant on the weather side of the coamings, the taff-rail, and the stern rail above the builder's plate:






Once I'd completed that I was relieved that I hadn't made too much of a mess with my fat fingers.  I also replaced the aging mainsheet line to a 3/8ths diameter.  Often, the aging sheet would fail to respond to a downwind run forcing us to pay out the line by hand.  It was simply old and stiff, like many of us, and didn't want to move.  I know that feeling well.

The maintenance I don't look forward to is down below where I was about to replace my cockpit drain tubes with semi-flexible white tubing.  I'd seen this on another Cape Dory, probably Get Kraken (check out his blog to the right where listed), and I really wanted that below-decks look aboard Baggy Wrinkles.  If you've ever been aboard a ship, everything below decks in the operational part of a vessel is in whites.  Helps with everything, lighting, finding screws on the floor, visibility, etc.  So this was my turn below.




Supporting myself in the cockpit with a rubber fender and a life jacket I worked above the drain area and installed the piping with these gear clamps, doubling them on each end of the connections to buy insurance in the event of possible failure.  I know, this is overkill, but the thought of a boat full of water just makes me shudder.



This isn't hard to do, it's just hard to get to.  One day when one of my grandchildren returns to sail, I'll pay him to crawl under the decks and clean the scum off the bulkheads.  Just under my left hand in the photo is the extent of my cleaning operations below.


After having done this, I was sufficiently proud that I'd stemmed any possible flow of liquid aboard.  And this is the view below with hatches open all around for preventing mildew from forming:

The compression post is taking a break from duties in a modified version of "parade rest" while everything else is napping wherever they can.

So a most profitable week.  Winds are brisk these days so it won't be long before she'll be in the water again to test out the sealant.  Plus, next we'll do some anchoring over lunch and see how that holds us.  Am in search of a simple lighting fitment too.  Want to find a simple but effective light system for those periods of darkness that might creep up on us...