Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, September 23, 2014


So as I prep to depart for Spain, I've tightened the grey plastic tarp on my Dory for its duty that over the next 2 months it will have to perform.  I hope it survives the autumn winds!  It's really not the optimal cover but its the only thing I can do right now.  The cover completion is not yet at hand, so.  This photo is from the day I fitted the plastic template.  The grey cover is taut but certainly doesn't cover all the vital parts I'd like it to cover, yet.


Baggy Wrinkles was a bit saddened to see me inspecting her.  I walked around yesterday and scooped off bunches of pine needles and inspected everything again, tightening cords here and there.  I couldn't help but notice some spots on the hull I need to clean up and some teak that needs a bit of re-varnishing.  And all the while a cool wind was buffeting the cover and shaking the shrouds as Baggy Wrinkles wanted off the trailer and into the lake.  A bit sad, but I don't have any sailing time left at the moment now.  She'll have to wait until mid-November when I return.  The winds will be good then, and brisk.

I'm going to travel on military air which means on "stand by." If a plane is departing in the general direction of where I need to go, I jump on if allowed by the loading limits.  If not, I wait.  It's one of the life-long benefits of retired military service members.  But many don't ever use it primarily because it requires a vagabond lifestyle, somewhat a time-waster existence in and out of military terminals.  That's the down-side.  The upside is fantastic because if you have the time to travel, you can jump on and be in some rather exotic places in a matter of hours, like time travel, so to speak.

The other day I noticed a flight to the United Kingdom which had nearly one hundred seats available for passengers, and after take-off only 17 lucky souls had managed to jump aboard headed to Mildenhall, England.  Imagine having lunch in Cambridge in the afternoon, nice thought.  One of these days I'll have to jump that route and tour the ports of England and Scotland to look at the various small sailing boats in the harbors.


But for now, time to simply hope for the best, as the cover for Baggy Wrinkles is still in progress and time is short.  The good thing is that the dory is a sturdy gal, and no matter how much wind and rain and debris that falls, she ought to be just fine with some cover and periodic inspection by a couple of pals from the yacht club from time to time. All sailors respond to a bribe of some sort.  And I'm sure I can come up with a possible idea or two!