Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Sunday, August 10, 2014

We're in that time of summer now.  The dead of summer I should say.  Dead due to the degree of heat and the lack of wind.  If there is wind, it's associated with thunderstorm activity.  The last hurrah before the kids go back to school.  It's hot and humid in the Southern USA, and in this part, lots of humidity means loss of water, the need for hydration, and can make for some really uncomfortable sailing, if you can sail at all.

And, in the midst of this, my 4 stroke motor decided the other day to choke and die.



I'd been pretty happy with the Yamaha engine since replacing the old Nissan model from the late 60s.  But recently I must have flooded it and then successfully fouled the spark plug.  The normal process of letting the carburetor drain a bit and then restart was pointless.  Then I goofed, and flooded it again, when I should have left the throttle open for air.  I'm a genius....

This little engine cannot be that hard to get along with I mused.  So I left it for a week, and just went by to get it ready for a courtesy sail with a fellow interested in knowing more about the Typhoon, and voila, the engine refused to start again.  Ok, so troubleshoot this, get the manual, read it, apply it.  Cannot be this hard.  First thing is gas.  Ok well plenty of that because I filled it up.  Second thing is the fuel filter.  Hmm, I think I'll pass on that.  This is a new motor.  Third, and I think most suspect, is the spark plug.  I suspect it got fouled and will not cooperate.  So I trekked off for the proper plug, checked the gap, and inserted the plug in the little motor. And still no luck.  So off to the Yamaha dealer to execute the warranty!

It was a tough day too because I was doing a courtesy sea trial for a Cape Dory enthusiast to whom I had extended the invitation to sail aboard the Baggy Wrinkles.  The winds were slight and things were looking great.  Look at the sails:


Winds were about 4kts and the lake was rather calm.  Temperatures were about 74 degrees, so for the dead of summer, we were fine.  I was giving my ride-along plenty of tiller time so that he could enjoy the distinctive feel of the boat and experience the ease with which it comes about in the water.  He seemed to be right at home in the cockpit as you can see:


However, the lake was looking a bit anemic wind-wise and the tell tales were weakening their happy ride as my guest skipper made his way across Lake Murray.  I requested him to come about so that if winds weakened further we'd not have to paddle that far.  After all, the Yamaha was on vacation at this point, very unkindly refusing to participate in the event today.

So, what I had feared happened.  The winds died completely.  So there we sat, with sails gently asking for a breeze.  Then the cloud cover dumped their liquid and we enjoyed a cool summer rain in hopes that with the  water there might also come wind.  But no wind.  My skipper volunteered to assist at the paddle and did a phenomenal job sitting at the bow-plate bringing Baggy Wrinkles home.


We drug ourselves out of the boat as the sunshine heated everything and we pulled her out dripping wet.  A long day had been made more bearable with plenty of cold liquids aboard, some fruit, and great conversation. 

Summer stillness and quality humidity!

Another arrival at Port on the Road King Trailer

My guest skipper had a pleasant view to the south under gentle breeze.
You don't always have the option of sustaining winds.  However, having a solid contract with Boat US meant that at any moment we could call-in our position and get a great tow back home.  In this case we made our way about 1/2 mile back to our port with little effort as the rain provided some cooling.  The Typhoon glides well in the water.  Our journey provided my new friend with plenty of time for questions and answers about the Typhoon.  Perhaps he will find his dream boat, "America's Littlest Yacht."  Now the get Yamaha to fix that 4 stroke!