Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Motors can be little "buggers."

Fresh from a doctor's visit, installed on the taff-rail bracket.  Ready for service.
So, after a trip to the doctor, the little Yamaha started up and purred again.  The problem?  Instability of fuel.  And the fuel smelled "bad."  That's what the doctor said, using 2 syllables for the word "smelled" so that when he said it, his eyes bugged out a bit and the expression sounded like,  "it smay-elled bayaad."  I have come to instantly accept these histrionic expressions living in the South of the US.  Even "bad" can be expressed as "bay-ad" rather than simply the one syllable word "bad."  But traditionally, you would not say both of these words in their 2 syllable construction, one said right after the next, except however if you were much much older than this doctor and you sought to employ an extra punch of histrionics "smay-elled bay-ad."  And yes, I have heard that expression too.  But the little bugger only got "smay-elled" bad.

So the verdict was that it had problem been the result of Ethanol.  Carburetor had become sticky and clogged, the result of sitting with this bad smelling gas in its itty bitty tank over the course of 4 to 6 weeks, not running and not getting any fresh gas to help it.  Really so?  And I had been warned that this doctor's visit would not be cheap either.  I can confirm that as true.  But the bad gas thing had me worried.  My lawn mower is using the same stuff.  Well, the doctor said I'd better get an additive and stick it in as a stabilizer.  He said the current cocktail of American fuel is not meant to sit around all year waiting on my seasonal pull at the dock.  I ground my teeth a bit and scratched my goatee and replied with a winsome "yup," another Southern expression that makes you sound as if you knew all this before now but you do certainly concur with the doctor's analysis, a protection reaction you know.  And that your appearance here to pay for the visit is due to some unseen or hidden "instability" rather than your own ignorance, or, in this case, my ignorance.  Yup then, it'd been my lack of maintenance and upkeep, but I preferred to suggest that it might also have been someone or something else.  How could I have been so ignorant?  It happens.


So, it's back to Baggy Wrinkles with the 4 stroke Yamaha and her stable fuel.  Apparently this 2 ounces of  fuel stabilizer will treat one gallon.  I guess I'll have to start a maintenance record on the bugger because there's no way I'm going to keep track of when I last filled up.  Cooler temps are ahead, the tank is less than a liter, and that's not even an Imperial measurement an American understands.  So I'd better do as Otto once said, "when in danger or in doubt, write it out, write it out."

I tucked the Yamaha into the Burb for its ride back to Baggy Wrinkles and consequent duty.  Why, it's not run for more than a "couple of three hours" ( another southern expression which does not mean what it suggests ).  It's not run but perhaps three full hours maximum yet.

I'm expecting great things out of this motor now.  It'd better behave.

Here, the motor hangs on during a lunch and hydration stop.  I was 'hove to' in the lee of a couple of small islands, on our return trip across Lake Murray, with winds from 10 to 16 kts.  The Yamaha cranked right up once arriving in the Cove for retiring the sails and motoring to the dock.  Well done.  I thought I'd posted the "hove-to" video but my retired mind had failed me instead.

Here is the funny, if not comical, video of me in a sped-up 2 minute video of "heaving-to" while getting my lunch down and heading back across the lake for home: