Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Took Baggy Wrinkles out for a sail the other day.  Weather was hot but the winds were picking up and predicted to hit about 15mph with gusts to 28mph.  I thought, "That's perfect wind for a Typhoon!"

So off we went about 11am into the lake.  Not another sailboat anywhere.  Only the Sheriff's department was out, cruising the shoreline and coves, doing their routine.  Sailing solo is great because you don't have to provide tour guide info, just sail.  However, it comes with challenges for photography.  I had setup my GoPro on the taff-rail and had my Nikon handy for some of those other moments when I could single-hand the dory and put the camera on automatic.
Very typical cockpit with this and that about, lines crossing, as the Typhoon splashes forward. 

























The Typhoon is such a sturdy vessel that even with 12 to 15% heel, it feels as if it is just beginning to get her teeth into the wind.  As one of my friends said, "It's the perfect 'old geezer' boat!"  Well I have to admit I guess old geezer is a term for an old guy like myself.  But it is the perfect boat and you can tell by this photo as I am holding the tiller and taking the photo simultaneously.

Attempting to portray degree of heel is difficult while at the helm, so I looked at two things, the overall dynamic positioning of the boat, so that you look at sail position, compass and horizon in one glance which tells you what a clinometer could tell you in numbers.  I don't see the need for a clinometer since I experience heel rather than think about it.
Port reach heading due North on the lake.



















So the photo above does it for me.  Look at the compass and note that the inside ring's base and the horizon are perfectly the same, providing an apparent correlation to the naked eye. If you were to draw a line straight from the top of the photo to the base of the forestay you would be able to see the approximate amount of degrees of heel.  Since the forestay is leaning with the wind a bit, it would not be exact.  Yet the mast is straight and you can draw the same lines and measure the mast a bit more perfectly.  But this photo does it for me, a good steady breeze of about 12-15 kts and you can see that sitting in the cockpit you will need to brace yourself adequately.

This is the Ritchie Kyack compass mounted with velcro.  Easy to see.  You can see better what I mean about the built-in clinometer.  I prefer a velcro mount.  The less holes in this boat the better!  Too, I can remove it for security or travel.

Too, everyone always want to know how fast they're going and I took this screen shot after I'd hit 5.9 kts.  I wanted to prove the Dory was doing it's thing but was not able to capture another reading as high after this.  This program is an  APP for android devices called Sail Droid. 

I like the fact that it provides three essential things in a simple format:  Speed over Ground in knots, Course over Ground and the Magnetic Compass.  In the first photo, the compass shows 333 degrees as a heading but the boat is actually pointing at 356 degrees.  In the second photo here, there is no course over ground because there is no movement forward.  The speed over ground is apparent so needs no explanation.  If you put the phone on the table and turn it left and right the compass at the bottom screen will immediately move just like a fluid compass.  Cool.  The program has other items like GPS info, position and waypoint, plus a white on black screen which I should have been using in the bright sunshine.

I also have a couple other programs on the Samsung but will feature them later since I usually just use this.  There is one from the American Sailing Association and another called the Sailing Tactician.  All of these are free programs for the android devices.

Have taken the sails off the dory and will be performing some maintenance, putting on additional tell-tales and cleaning a bit.