Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Saturday, July 26, 2014

I always like to discover a port.  Perhaps its the element of adventure, or the sense of embarkation, or the lure of the sea.  Not sure.  The sights and smells of a port have always captured my imagination.  So I'm always on the lookout for a port, its sights and sounds, and those particular things that make a port so interesting.

So just the other day I had the opportunity to pass through Georgetown, South Carolina, on my way to Pawley's Island.  I was doing the reconnaissance by vehicle.  It was raining and there weren't many people at all outside.  I had once thought that Georgetown might be a nice harbor for the future.  1st Mate and I had given thought to perhaps locating there.  We'd only read about it.  Perhaps it looked better on the map than it did in person.

Here and there were improvements, a very catchy or touristy main street was filled with expensive automobiles and older clientele, while just a block away, were some tugs and yachts, tied to the quai or bobbing in the channel in the persistent rain.  Not the sort of place I'd want to hook up the Baggy Wrinkles that's for sure!  Then I looked near the water and saw this--

The sight of this old double-ender drew me in.  It was apparent that it used to have some care as there was much about the old vessel that looked like it had logged many miles at sea.  And so, in the rain, I snapped a few photos of this old wooden vessel.  There wasn't anyone around from whom I could get information, so I just did some picture taking of this old girl, now prominently displayed in the parking lot, yards from the channel and the adventuresome sea where she used to sail.




You have to pluck around to find this sort of thing.  I was looking and looking.  And, as I always carry my camera, I was ready to photograph this old vessel.  Seems it might have been a candidate for the Newport Shipyard where they rebuild this sort of thing.   Anyway, I was just checking out the Georgetown Port, in the rain and found this interesting vessel.  Sort of reminded me of fellow blogger Dan and his Rhapsody ( see the link on my page to his blog ), the project boat he is so passionately refitting.

One has to wonder about the history of yachts like this.  They conjure up so many possibilities.




There is sometimes a lot of work to be done!