Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Sunday, May 25, 2014


This week begins a bit of preparation for BaggyWrinkles to head north to Virginia and sail with other likeminded Dories in the Typhoon Nationals competition.  If you cursor over this sentence it will highlight and take you to the event site.

Later I will glom on about the competition part of the trip.  For now I will focus on preparation.  Before heading north, I have set myself to accomplish the load plan for the boat, the trailer readiness, and some details regarding trailering with the mast and shrouds all about the vessel.  Years ago when sailing catamarans, my routine was to simply lash everything down securely and hope nothing fell off the trampoline into the street.  These days, I'm a bit more cautious, and think I had better prepare the mast and its lines with a bit more precaution.

Part of the issue is being able to lift the mast off the Dory so that it is resting on something other than the cuddy cabin of the Weekender. So I am going to try a method.  My thinking is to get the trailer stem again high enough ( at least temporarily ) so that I can refit it with an installable device.  Thus, having set my brain to configure, I came up with this:


Concept was to provide a stem insert that could accomodate the mast once set into the v shaped cut. However, the cut needed some cushioning, so this rubber matting purchased from Auto Zone did the trick.  Then screwed into place so it would not move at all.  Plus, it provides protection from rain soaking the 4x4 treated lumber.  Plus the wood enables me to insert some eye bolt hooks for a rubber tie down strap.


 The mast can lie down in this groove.  Otherwise the rubber sits up, at least for now, and continues to protect the end of the lumber piece. The next calculation is the vertical distance off the cuddy so that the mast never gets the opportunity to bounce off the boat.  That could cause more glaze fractures already decorating this old deck.  Trying to keep the boat protected from itself!

And then the vertical stem is placed into the galvanized trailer stem.  Rather than attempt to go find someone to retrofit the stem with a permanent piece, I decided to do this for now, a temporary solution.  Sticking the screw-driver into the opening helps to hold the vertical stem in place so that I can measure the height for positioning.




So the aft section, also made of the 4x4 lumber provides a base that is rather heavy, like the stem piece, and using assorted pieces of things in my garage, I came up with this little jitney.  Knowing how things move when traveling, I added a couple of protectors on top of the base to guide the mast back in place.  I also added a couple of cabinet feet I had lying around my garage, in order to add some bit of control for adjustment.


On the protective guides I cut a bit of 1and 1/4 inch rubber hose to add further protection for the mast and the wood.  Did I over-do this part?  Perhaps, but I wanted it to outlast my trip!  Maybe it will last even further?


The feet also have a threaded inner shaft inserted into the 4x4 to provide certain grab.  I used 3M spray glue to add some more of that rubber matt to the feet in order to protect the deck further.







Everything needs protection and I added a simple cusion to the mast base so I wouldn't have to always use a towel or something silly like that to cushion it.  Rubber does not care about rain either.

So then, once in place, the aft support section looks happily in place.  I am concerned about a bit of forward/aft movement possible.  However I may remedy this during my trials this coming week to see if weight plus rubber straps can cease that concern.  There is no guidebook right? 





Sighting from aft toward the bow, the line I've stretched from stem to stern looks as if it will just miss the cabin top.  i have to anticipate that the mast may sag a bit too however.  The stem may determine further height so I have to be prepared to adjust it further.  Even at this angle, bounce may be eliminated just the same and if not, then perhaps adding a cushion of some sort if necessary, could mitigate that concern.


Here is the view from the stem.  The rope is taught and sags a bit.  How much will the mast sag?  Perhaps a little but the proof will be in the pudding.  Have to get the Dory ready for trailering on the highway.  Distance, time of highway driving, vibration, wind, and constant movment, are certainly critical issues for this operation. 



In the next posting, the results!