Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

They call us "dry sailors," or, "trailer sailors," and perhaps there are other sorts of suspicious names that might imply something of our capability or our depth of knowledge about sailing.  But I can't see putting my boat in the water when I can pull her out and keep her clean.

And there's a technique to getting the Dory into the water that isn't so easy.  When I first got the Typhoon, I was mystified as to how this trailer was going to help me launch this 2000 pound day sailor.  I just could not get my car far enough into the water to float the dory off into the lake.  After a long discussion with the manufacturer and many phone calls, and over 8 months of haggling, I finally got my 8 foot extension.  Voila, the answer!

This video is a fun little example of how I  haul out the dory.  You can imagine the splash is the same as the haul-out, in reverse.  I'm using music from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, back in the day they were the rage.  And they seemed appropriate for this little portrayal.  View full screen, and select to view  in HD: