Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Winter of 2014 is giving the Southern USA a few cold waves as per Mr Groundhog who announced 6 more weeks before we'll see warming temps.  Maybe it is warmer where you live!  But the south's temps will rise again, this weekend in fact.  But today it is pouring flakes of stuff called "snow."

Last night, as winds from the approaching cold front were making their way across the lake, I hurried to install 2 bronze portholes on Baggywrinkles ahead of the rain and snow.  It was truly time to refit them with this new product I ordered in from Bristol Bronze in Rhode Island.  The pics below reveal the worn duty of these faithful windows of her soul.  She needed some new "lunettes" that is for sure.  Searching via the internet these little tokens can go for nearly $ 900 US in some cases.  The CD Typhoon simply needed a simple fitment but something that fit the standard factory opening.  I then found Ken Winiarski at Bristol Bronze.

We had a delightful conversation via the telephone in which Ken informed me of his products and his history with the Cape Dory.  I felt like I was talking to an historian, because Ken, had a personal acquaintance with the Valvolotis brothers who first manufactured these sturdy yachts.  Here is a quotation from the Cape Dory website giving the thumbnail history on the Dories:

"Cape Dory Yachts was founded in 1963 by Andrew Vavolotis in East Taunton, Mass.  In the following 28 years, the company built over 2,800 sailboats ranging from 22 to 45 feet, and over 2,000 of the 19' Typhoon and the 22' Typhoon Senior, as well as the Cape Dory 10, which was the original Cape Dory dory. Most of the designs were by Carl Alberg. The boats are known for their sturdiness and ability to handle a wide range of conditions."

To my delight, Ken knew exactly what was on my Typhoon, and made 3 or 4 parts for each item I needed!  I thought this would cost me dearly, knowing that I had to replace two portholes. Their condition shows they really needed help:



 My installation is a semi permanent one.  I figure one day I may remove all the deck hardware and sand down the deck and re-gel and paint her.  However, for now, I'm simply replacing what is worn out, not trying to win a beauty contest.  Function is more important than form at this time.

During this installation, two very competent fellow sailors of the sailing club came to inquire of my efforts on the classic girl.  Rather bavard, the two of them, they began to examine  my rigging and enjoined me in a beneficial conversation about my shroud tensions and fixes, i.e., how one had a friend who could help with this and the other who recommended a different style turnbuckle....  Meanwhile, I fumbled with muttered yes, I know, and yet...sticking the portholes onto the cuddy cabin, white caulking now on my drill and the surface of the portholes.  I'm wondering if I'll get it off before it sticks too well while they are still well engaged in the interesting conversation, at least to them, of how this tension could affect my rig.  "Well, you're right however, this is a champagne vessel, not a racing yacht so...."  That didn't seem to stem the instructional parlance at all!  I managed to get the 6 little bronze screws into cuddy with little problem while wondering why it was that I never get interrupted when I'm having a lull, only during moments of artistic necessity such as this!

Well, I capitulated and agreed that I would do something about my loose rig, wiping my fingers of this sticky mess as they smiled, waved, and walked off.  One of them grinned and said, "we're sure you need all this right now too!"  I had to laugh.  I did need it indeed and appreciated the fact they cared.

Anyway, having challenges is what sailing is all about.  So I installed the $90 dollar portholes on starbard and portsides, adding a touch of elan to this little gal, hull number 729, dated 1974.  Here, before the final fit is what it would look like once set.  Another photo later will reveal the product completed after the impromptu rigging clinic from last evening!  Check out the products at Bristol Bronze.