Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Wednesday, February 5, 2014


Have you tried to find a small motor for a sailboat?  There is a huge niche market for small outboards. 

The Cape Dory needs a small outboard motor to  provide that "extra" umph in the event one needs certain power to avoid certain disaster.  A good outboard motor is just that little insurance.  Here she was back in the day, hanging on for dear life....

Yet try to find a used motor!  My limit on the repair of my little jitney was about 200 dollars.  Since the motor had arrived with my Dory, I worked with it repeatedly until we mutually decided that she was not fit for duty aboard my vessel. 

She had failed me in 15/25 kts at dusk when I really needed her.  Well, she ran out of gas, so that's my fault!  But previous to this, as she was a 2 stroke, she needed lots of stroking to feel good, but she'd made my life awfully precarious!  So, I sold her on Craigslist to a couple of fine gents who wanted a little trolling motor to find Bass.  Good marriage.

So after concluding my search I replaced the old Nissan with a Yamaha 4 stroke,  2.5 horsepower.  Ok, one less horse than the Nissan, but newer technology and exponential thrust compared the the older technology. 

So, new technology, no failing parts like the Nissan had provided me, and no gas smell in my car ( yay ).  She is undergoing familiarization training in the garage while I await the rise of waters on the lake.


But pricey indeed.  Yet it seems one of those things you don't want to spend much money on yet comes in handy as a life-saver when you need it.  And, I think way-underestimated in terms of value.

Well, maybe it's just me, but if the Cape Dory were a small sailing skiff or sailing dory which could be rowed to shore, this motor thing would not be an issue.  But it is a heavy keel hull, which if run aground, might stay aground for well past the time I would want to be stranded. 

And to figure the value of the motor I use this mental image of being stranded with a bum motor and run aground on a sand bar in the middle of a turbulent lake, radio in hand calling; "....hello, anyone this net?  Cape Dory Typhoon Baggy Wrinkles, run aground, need rescue....?"  First, there's probably no Coast Guard on the lake, especially at that hour.  Second, if there were, what would they say if they looked at my motor and laughed?  Third, what would my answer be for being a miser, or stupid?

That image made me write the check!  One more step in the adventure.  BaggyWrinkles has a reliable motor for all furture excursions!  Will be mounting her on the bronze bracket when the weather clears up.