Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, January 10, 2014

So when I purchased BaggyWrinkles, it had two new sails and two old sails.  And my first thought was what to do with the old sails.  My project idea did not sit well with a sail lofter, so I decided after some trepidation, to go it on my own and make curtains for my office!

Well, the old sails were suffering from a lot of good sailing weather.  The fabric tore easily and the bronze grommets and hanks were corroded, stains from activity are baked into the crinkled texture.  Yet, with all of this, and a bit of careful work, I figured I could pull together a couple of curtains for 2 windows of about 40 inches squared each. 

Every morning, especially during the summer months, my office is flooded with bright sunshine so that I'm nearly blinded.  I cannot see my laptop to work.  I've even adapted to wearing my cap like a street rapper to block the light bath and manage to work.  So, after a couple of years suffering like this I dove into the project with a vengeance.




I wanted to keep these sails because of what they showed about this Typhoon.  Although rather useless as sails, they would serve the simple need I had in my office.  I used the Cape Dory manufacturer's tag as a patch for where one of the squares had a couple of holes in the cloth:


I had determined to do this project with as little lofting capability as possible!  I cut the squares and allowed enough along the edges to permit me to spray 3M glue over the cloth, fold it and press it down to make a finished edge.




Securing a discarded mast, I cut a couple of sections to serve as valances and used the hardware to hold the sail in place.  I figured I did not need any strings or pulleys on these valances because the Dory boom turns to accommodate the mainsail anyway--so these curtains can be hand rolled to shorten or lengthen for the windows. 



Using ordinary hardware from Lowes or Bed Bath and Beyond, I affixed a couple of arms to hold the spar in place and the sail cloth hung perfectly.  I inserted a small steel rod in the bottom seam of each curtain to provide "pull" on the cloth.  I cut my own pieces of wood to affix at the ends of the spars including a small hole in each.  Before affixing the wood caps I inserted and knotted the end of the sail rope to finish off the look. 

Well, this project is "in process" and needs more time.  With being away from home and such, I've had to delay a final fix on these curtains. 

I decided these wooden end caps were too hard to make for me, and I ordered some caps from Dwyer Aluminum instead.  By the time I return home, the end caps will be my fix and with some sewing of the hem around the steel rods, I'll be close to hanging these curtains up for a final fix.  Here are a couple of pics of the curtains in place without the end caps:




Next step will be to emplace end caps, sew the bottom hem, and have curtains "a la carte."