Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

On the hard, so it's time for some maintenance.  The bright sun of late Autumn and cool temps make for an easy working environment.  There are a lot of sailors who have smaller vessels and end up working out of the back of their car or truck.  With weather like this, I worked quickly to get varnish on her teak!



While winter in the northern hemisphere is harsh, further south, where BaggyWrinkles lives, the weather is almost delightful in the winter.  This provides time to get a few coats of varnish on her teak, plug some holes, and catch up on some maintenance.


I'm using Epiphanes matte finish varnish.  This Danish matte finish is perfect for the dory because it permits the wood color to stand out without the shiny affect you might expect on a newer vessel.  Sure, shiny is nice, yet the matte finish enables this older vessel to look her age without having to appear spotless in every respect, and she's got plenty of age spots!

One particularly sensitive area was on the starboard toe/rub rail.  Having not had the time last year to fix it before the sailing season, I had buttressed the rail with epoxy to stem any water seeping into the hull.  Here is one of the areas needing repair:
Same area on the outside where the toe rail
did not quite meet properly.
An expeditious repair from last year to stem leaking.














After removing the Genoa track and car, I have applied several coats of Epiphanes to the entire rail including special attention to this wounded area.  The previous owner had done a good job of repairing a 4 foot section which looked to have been broken somehow.  Any holes or seams not patched here will invite water below decks.  This is a critical point on the dory. 

Once the machinery was removed I was able to take some time and sand this area a bit more during a few sunny and warmish days.

I will add the updated photo of this rail after today, so come back to see how it turns out!  So, after a bit of shaping and sanding this is the rub rail rebuilt with epoxy.  Next step will be to fill the top part of the rail with some substance which can leech down into the first 2 screw holes from the genoa track.  The exterior now is somewhat more flush.  My intent was to not be too invasive.  The balance between cosmetic and practical is where I have settled.  Without ripping off the entire rail, stem to stern, this provides a working result:
















In addition, I coated every piece of teak on the vessel twice to provide that little bit of annual protection and "keep up" with the elements' deterioration of the finish.  As long as I keep plodding along, I can avoid having all grey teak and using that expression, "it ages nicely," which it does not.  In my opinion.  If it is grey, it has not had its required maintenance.

 
These foam applicators work just fine.  A retouching is all that's needed on exposed parts.

 
This pic shows some aging, but the varnish protects the wood from further deterioration.

Once a couple of coats of varnish over two days are complete I remove the protective tape.  This is good to catch unwanted drops of varnish that sneak off the rub rail onto the hull.
 
This close-up of the tiller shows the lightly sanded previous varnish and the newly added varnish.

 
So the dory got a bit of a makeover and dried out under a late Autumn sun.  Temps were about 58 to 62 degrees with a light breeze.  While not enough water to launch, she's gotten a bit of protection on her teak.  Next on the agenda, some work on the mainsheet cam cleat and a couple of new portholes from Bristol Bronze!