A recent post shows the reapplication of varnish and work on the rub/toe rail. Routine. Also need to get a hardware fix for the genoa tracks. Somehow the metal on metal, despite winch grease, is alarmingly difficult to manage underway. The cars ought to move quickly and without much effort. So that's on the work agenda. But for now I've turned to the warm temps and clear skies to apply new deck paint.
Here is baby blue paint I'm replacing with Epiphanes light grey. Light blue simply doesn't fit my sense of color scheme, so I decided to change to a light grey-
The taping is critical to provide crisp lines.
The most difficulty I had was keeping debris from dropping on the fresh grey. Next photo reveals the completed paint now drying. The recent varnish on the teak pops out with the grey contrast:
I deliberately did the cockpit first so that I could get an idea of how the paint applies and what precautions I should take when doing the fore and aft decks next. Once viewing the cockpit I will probably follow with most of the contour lines already in place on the next sections. There is a bit of build-up on those locations so it's not worth the difficulty of trying to go against their years old pattern.
I'm using Epiphanes Varnish for my teak and deck paint. I really don't have expertise in all the varieties of paints and varnishes. However, after visiting the Newport Boat Shoe in September, and talking with the representatives from Epiphanes, I decided to stick with this one vendor for my needs. If you want to check out their products you can hit this link www.epifanes.nl for more. Their customer service is very friendly and helpful.
As Christmas passes and the New Year rolls in, I anticipate more bright and sunny days and cold temps. Time for some mechanical upgrading and tweaking before winter sailing in February!