Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Deck stains are a constant hassle on this dory.  My obsessive compulsive nature had driven me to find a suitable cleaner for the stains on the Typhoon's deck.  I had wandered through West Marine's products and a host of You Tube videos trying to determine what would work on the dirty little stains on her deck.

A friend had asked me why I didn't simply refinish her deck....to which I replied, "I don't want to do that right now ( saying to myself, do you really realize how much work it will be to properly do that? ) and mused to myself that friends are allowed to be ignorant and irritating while family never are allowed that luxury at all.  A brisk look at a family member is sufficient.  But the deck stains remained past this momentary irritation. 

And though I did not photograph it, and am sure I will have the opportunity again soon, a brown maple leaf lay decoratively on the white deck just near the genoa track.  Underneath was a watery shadow of brown-purple stain on my just cleaned starboard deck.  As I fumed within, I also admired this elegant impression, then thought of the fall leaf cleanup I will begin in November.  I've done this for the past two years at our current home and have calculated it takes me about 16 large yard bags of vacuumed leaves every season.  I don't like the Fall because of that job.  But I like the Fall.  And so, mind wandering, my eyes admired the leaf stain.


Few things are as brilliant as natures' accidental wonders.  Don and Belinda, writing on their Blog "The Third Quarter" ( listed at the right ) made the remark that sometimes sailboat blog entries focus often on mechanics, problems, solutions and chandlery items, yet we sail because of the pure delight that comes from being in this watery environment.  And the leaf was just that moment.  Another was the water dripping from the rub rail.

I had been furtively engaged, attacking several problems on the dory the other day.  The temps were exhaustingly hot.  Humidity was thick, air was heavy, mosquitos added a certain inner rage to the scene that could pass for comedy if viewed from afar.  I'd fixed my drains again, yes, the clamps were not quite set right.  Routine maintenance.  I'd washed the deck with a more aggressive mixture of bleach and water.  I know, report me to the cleaning agent officers, but sometimes you simply have to try the stuff that worked when we were little kids, now outlawed because someone... well you know what I'm driving at.  Better left unsaid.  And it worked!  While the dory was wet with the mix and flushed with water, the sunlight did what I could not.  The deck was finally 90 percent cleaned up. 

Now, thoroughly drenched with sweat, I'd installed a spare tire on the trailer, made a template of the cockpit sole for a woodworker in Florida who does teak decking, and was running my hand over the white hull of this magnificent little vessel, when I looked up and saw these happy drops of water hanging from the teak rub rail...

Like a kid looking at grains of sand on a seashore, once again I found myself rather attracted to this accidental beauty of light and water hanging around on the Cape Dory.  The droplets of water were perfectly rounded.  They appeared to be waiting for the next thing to happen.  Yet behind them on the hull played these white flames looking completely opposite to the shape of their parents.

Wet myself, from the tedium of humidity, working about on the dory, I grabbed my camera to steal this momentary display.  No, it wasn't sailing, it was simply taking a moment to appreciate something that I might otherwise not have seen had I bumped my head on the hull or slapped another mosquito on my balding forehead.

It is a good thing to be surprised by such subtlety and take time to admire such accidental beauty.