Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, June 14, 2013

It was grey and somewhat menacing that Spring day.  It came late this year, you could tell by the way the pollen covered everything.  The deck of the Cape Dory looked as if someone had played a prank and covered her with celery powder.  I didn't really mind.  I preferred colder temps on the water.  I'm too hot blooded I guess. 

The skies rolled furtively overhead and a 2 foot chop built up on the lake.  I'd kept my eye on the weather for weeks, waiting for that combination of ideal wind and waves in order to put her to the test, to see how she'd react, to find out where the weak points were.  The weather came.  She acted like she'd been cooped up all winter. 

It's better seen than told.  No sophisticated filming, the GoPro is in one hand the other on the tiller.  What you can see is a bit of the sail plan, genoa and its tracks, the degree of heel with that plan and the wind.  And if not that technical, you might just like the view of the Cape Dory from an artistic viewpoint.  In my mind, there is always some sort of music in these moments.  Hopefully it doesn't get annulled by censors...go sailing for a few minutes and get a feel of what this classic is like:



Since that Spring day I've had her out in stiffer breezes.  On one sail my friend Vinny thought he was going to have to hike out to windward, I almost had to grab him to keep him in the boat.  I kept telling him, "she's much heavier than we are, stay in the boat..."  "Really?" he asked surprised and a bit anxiously.  Many years earlier he'd been sailing with me on my 14 foot Hobie Catamaran, so I couldn't be too impatient with him.  Those days had quickly come to his mind as he stuck his legs and attempted to jump the coaming! 

You usually see these dories in photos drifting about on lakes with a party of 3 or 4 aboard, and if you look carefully you might even see cocktails in hand.  Not this one.