Baggy Wrinkles

Baggy Wrinkles
S/V Nautica, Hull #614, Built at Whitby Boatworks Ltd., Ontario, Canada 1977, one of the most recognizeable Carl Alberg designs. A masthead sloop displacing 9000 lbs, keel hull, Yanmar 15 hp diesel, LOA 30.27 Beam 8.75, Draft 4.29, roller furling headsail, tiller, berths for 4, interior teak bulkheads, teak cap rail and cockpit teak coamings, 12 volt lighting, aluminum mast support, Harken self tailing winches, in its day was designed for customers as a Cruiser-Racer, the Alberg 30 remains a Classic design of the large Alberg inventory.

Pageviews since BaggyWrinkles started:

Friday, May 24, 2013

It was now time for her first sea-trials.  The bright-work was completed and re-put on the hull.  Screw holes were filled and caulking put to insure water did not leak through the hull seam on La Belle Vie.


I had not had her in the water since she was pulled out of the James River in December.  Questions ran through my mind; "Would she take on water?"  "Could the rigging handle the wind?"  and "How will she feel underway?"

I had heard all sorts of tales of the classic Cape Dory Typhoon.  They spoke of how she handled like a larger vessel.  That meant to me that in one sense she was able to keep a heading with little effort.  She would not blow off course or take the wind by surprise.  She would lean over and run with the breeze.  It also suggested to me that like a larger vessel, she was sure in the tiller.  That is to say, the control of the vessel is truly at one's fingertips.  A shallow vessel planes across the water while a keel hull cuts deep and sure.  I was looking forward to our sea trials.


 It was important not to rush the sea trials and to manage all the details of the dory with care and attention.  Even with that caution, I thought I had rushed her a bit too much.  Sometimes I started talking to myself out-loud to simply slow down the procedure and make sure I got each item done correctly.  I remembered how rushing the mast stepping the first time I had bent the toggles on the shrouds.  I wanted to make sure I drug my feet so that everything was properly in place.



Then there was the sail plan.  This Typhoon is a "fractional rig."  That simply means her jib or genoa only ascends part way up the mast.  From my experience sailing larger yachts, I figured that at her displacement of 2000 pounds, she'd need plenty of head sail to get underway.  I fitted her with the Genoa, hanked-on the forestay.  Here she is rigged up on her trailer ready for a splash.

 
 
Finally getting her underway I decided to shoot her with my GoPro3 and give a glimpse of what it looks like to be at the helm of this vessel dubbed, "America's Littlest Yacht:"